Blood Worms

bsharding1982

Do saltwater fish not like blood worms?

I have a Yellow Tang, Niger Trigger, Lunar Wrasse, (true) Perc Clown, Blue Hippo, and Koran Angel. I give them a rotation of krill, shrimp, frozen bloodworms.... When I give them blood worms they totally ignore them.

When I give my freshwater blood worms (Tiger Oscar, Bala Shark, 2 Tinfoil Barbs) they go nuts and absolutely love them.

Anyone else have this reaction?

esco

It's weird, my fish normally go nuts over anything I put in the tank, bloodworms are not the exception. They slurp up bloodworms just as they would mini mysis, brine, krill, etc. My yellow tang, blue hippo, true perc, pseudochromis and chromis all eat frozen bloodworms, not sure why yours wouldn't either. I feed mini mysis/krill/brine as my primary and only feed the bloodworms maybe 2-3x a month so they don't get it often but when they do they don't hesitate to eat up.

As a side note, I am using Hikari bloodworms.

bsharding1982

Thats funny. They love everything else. I hadn't given them any before, until a few days ago and they just ignored them. I tried it again yesterday and same thing. I got them in an assortment pack of frozen cubes and thought oh they will love these. My oscar sure likes them, of course he will even go after my finger if i hold it in the water :) he's 4", won't do that when he gets bigger though.

LisaD

That's not a salmon
Team RC
bloodworms are of freshwater origin, not something they'd encounter in the ocean. why are you feeding bloodworms to marine fish? for nutritional reasons, I'd replace them with something closer to marine, except as the occasional treat (as esco does)...

s.reef

I wouldnt feed marine fish bloodworms...maybe to get them to eat but thats it. Mysis and other quality frozen foods

bsharding1982

They are just an occasional thing, mostly I give them shrimp, krill and green algae sheets. I try to mix it up. I'll keep the bloodworms for my freshwater. Thanks!

What is your fishes favorite?

s.reef

I feed frozen hikari Mysis shrimp. I also feed fresh shrimp and squid. Spectrum pellets and Ocean Nutrition flake, both formulas. I also feed Nori sheets

MrTuskfish

Team RC
bloodworms are of freshwater origin, not something they'd encounter in the ocean. why are you feeding bloodworms to marine fish? for nutritional reasons, I'd replace them with something closer to marine, except as the occasional treat (as esco does)...

I usually agree with you; but much of the premium mysis shrimp and spirulina algae we feed is also of FW origin, I believe. Freeze dried bloodworms seem to soak up, and hold, Selcon and other vitamins very well---so I feed them once in a while. Certainly not a big part of the diet, however.