Blowing off AEFW

sdoggssf

About two weeks ago i started a thread on blowing AEFW of your corals instead of dipping them. The goal was to blast the AEFW's off the corals with a turkey baster and let my fish such as yellow coris, radiant, and leopard wrasse eat them as they fell off the coral. After the first week of doing this I didnt see any flat worms coming off the coral. After the second week my corals that were infested had healed (bite marks). Its been about four weeks now and i havent seen anything and all my corals look great. I still blast my corals with the turkey baster every other day and my wrasses are constantly hunting, but im starting to feel pretty good about this stradegy. Has anyone else had any luck?

I tried this.....when I though I was free, I dip some corals and the aefw was there

I think is not possible to be free using this method

Regards and good luck

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12919742#post12919742 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Denadai
I tried this.....when I though I was free, I dip some corals and the aefw was there

I think is not possible to be free using this method

Regards and good luck

^^^ Agree ^^^

At best, blowing off corals is just 'fighting back the flames' but imo it wont put out the fire and, the AEFW will always find a few areas to hide within your corals.

Blowing them off simply reduces the numbers imo.

The fish Biochoeres cosmetes - also known as Halichoeres cosmetus is reported to eat AEFW.

Regards,

Tony

I managed them for several months that way. I think it was algaeman that first posted about this a couple of years ago. I know lots of people including Sanjay manage their tanks this way. It seems to work pretty well if you stay on top of it but of course trading or selling aren't options. At least they weren't for me. You might also look into the camelback shrimp idea if you haven't already and you are intereted in managing them.
Chris

Agreed with what's been said. IME, my AEFW were incredibly diffifult to get off of the coral. Physical blowing/shaking never got them all. :( Believe me, I tried. Thinner branches actually broke off before the worms let go....

Last edited:
Back