Blue body coral banded shrimp - your experiences?

djryan2000

I've read on some forums that blue body coral banded shrimps stay much smaller and don't try to kill fellow inhabitants. However, the people saying this were people who never owned one. I did find a forum for those who did - https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/329367-blue-coral-banded-shrimp-owners-please-get-in-here/ - but am looking to see if anyone on RC has owned one and would like to share there experience.

I currently own a CBS and as much as I enjoy keeping him in the tank I'm nervous he will start going for my fish or other shrimp. He's at least doubled in size since I bought him from my LFS and I've seen him make one mad dash for my cleaner shrimp now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to have one. And I loved it. It did start tiny and I never had issues w predation. My only complain towards it it's that it's extra skittish due to its diminutive size, so I hardly ever saw it and had to look very hard to find it. Even then I often wouldn't see it, so it would be a treat when I would. It's a beautiful shrimp, but I wish I saw it more.

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk

I use to have one. And I loved it. It did start tiny and I never had issues w predation. My only complain towards it it's that it's extra skittish due to its diminutive size, so I hardly ever saw it and had to look very hard to find it. Even then I often wouldn't see it, so it would be a treat when I would. It's a beautiful shrimp, but I wish I saw it more.

Thank you! Do you think if I started it off in an acrylic container it could learn to expect to be spot fed? My CBS comes running for my turkey baster once I drop food in knowing that I'll be giving him some.

Maybe. My Coral bandits use to do that. I had them before the blue bandit. I use to try that, but I had to feed it behind a rock, cuz that's as far as it would come out. But that was my only blue coral banded, so it's a small sample size.

Yes they were mated. 180 gallon. Didn't see them much. I guess it would depend on your aquascaping and where they decide to take up residence.

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk

Mine was in a 65 w simple reef fish (clowns, flasher wrasses, Blenny's). Still felt that way.

Mine was in a 65 w simple reef fish (clowns, flasher wrasses, Blenny's). Still felt that way.

Thank you! I would be adding him to a JBJ 45 so I'd likely have similar issues. I guess I'll have to decide between not seeing it often considering I don't want to risk my other life stocks lives.

Try to get a pair-it is very cool to watch them interact with each other. You are more likely to see them when the tank is dark or dim so perhaps you can adjust the lighting schedule.
Myles

Try to get a pair-it is very cool to watch them interact with each other. You are more likely to see them when the tank is dark or dim so perhaps you can adjust the lighting schedule.
Myles

Thank you, sounds like a good idea! How did you get a pair?

I asked the owner of my LFS once about ordering one and he claimed he couldn't specify for the blue body ones because they're classified as the same species as the regular one (even though they're not). so I don't even know where to get one considering they're always out of stock on the online vendors.

Back