blue coral encrusting everything

conjuay

DSCF0135.jpg
I've had a blue coral (heliopora coerulea) in my tank several years and it has been growing steadily. The problem is that it is overtaking a good chunk of real estate. It has taken over much of what used to be my Yellow polyp colony- it's at a point that if I don't do something soon I'll have no Yellow Polyps left.

Is it SAFE to chip back the encrusting part of the Blue coral to give the Yellow Polyps some more room or do I risk losing the entire Blue Coral?

Would I be better off finding a new spot for the yellow polyps?
TIA for your input,
mike

Last edited:
Either move the polyps or move the coral...it's up to you. I would take a large colony over worrying about prime real estate any day of the week.

What I do is take pieces of rubble rock around the growth, once the rubble is over grown replace it with new pieces and sell the other pieces for like $5 or so.

My advice... take a HUGE chunk off and send it to me! I would love to have something grow like that in my tank right now!!! :)

just kidding, your complaining about something that a lot of people would love!!! If this is the worst problem you're having, you're doing okay :)

take some of the polyps you like and move them to a safe location where they live worry free :)

My advice... take a HUGE chunk off and send it to me! I would love to have something grow like that in my tank right now!!! :)

just kidding, your complaining about something that a lot of people would love!!! If this is the worst problem you're having, you're doing okay :)

take some of the polyps you like and move them to a safe location where they live worry free :)

You should have seen it when I got it! Someone in our club had made concrete "plugs" in a muffin pan, and got this to grow over it. For the longest time it looked like the bottom of a bran muffin sitting on a rock.

That's cool. I have a similar problem in that a cyphastrea in my tank is literally growing through a zoa colony, and is strangulating the polyps. I will eventually loose the zoas, but the cyphastrea is cool to look at too. I would move some yellow polyps somewhere else and let nature take its course......

Back