blue hippo tang aggression to small fish ?

CTaylor

Hi
I have a blue hippo, he's getting bigger, and my tank will be too small very soon if not already. he's about 4 1/2 inches not incl tail. He swims a lot, but seems content at same time. Eats like a bottomless pit at feeding time.

Are they known to be agressive to smaller possibly weaker looking fish?
see below for background:

I witnessed him swim into fish like a person that walks by you but and bumps into you... no apologies ffrom him! lol. Worst: yeseterday I witinessed him attacking my small dispar anthias. She (the anthias) was very healthy though small, maybe 1 3/4 inches, always stayed with the dispar trio (they are 1/2" or so large, mediumn sized). Blue tang would not get off her, bitting, just attacking ,HORRIBLE! . She was left to sit on the tank bottom hiding. I got her out, hopefully I can save her in my other peaceful tank.

I know i need to get the blue tang out. I just didnt want to have to do it before I moved (someday ) ugh

TY!

Blue tangs are great in large tanks. It sounds like he's outgrowing your tank, and is taking it out on others. They are water column plankton pickers, and so are your anthias, so they are competitors for food. That's not a good combination in a too small tank.

Sure, this fish will assert itself to let others know they are in his territory.
As they grow and if they are the biggest fish, they can increase their territory.
Not sure your tank size, mine is 65g, my blue is same size as yours.

In my DT, theres no question he's the boss, but, he has not damaged anyone, but regularly bumps my Anthais and YT, but only when feeding time.

My blue tank isn’t a bully to the point where the other fish can eat or anything but he definitely pushes them around

my tank is 4' wide, 2' frton to back, 22" tall.. 110 gal about. (a short 125). He's content normally. He may not be quite yet outgrown the tank for a normal blue tang, but with his added agression for this particuar one he needs more space I will admit. I'll be fishing him out as soon as I can take the rocks out (ugh) and find a home for him. Though I just got him to eat nori , maybe that will calm him down as he'll get the nutrients he needs. He heats very well but more frozen and dry food mixes.

Back