Blue Milleopora - need advice

phoenix001

Premium Member
I need some advice on my Blue Milli - I've had this piece for a few months now - this may seem like a dumb question, but shouldn't it be far more blue than this? I feel like its bleached out but I need other opinions.

Since I purchased it, I placed it at the top of my 90 gallon directly under 175W Iwasaki 15k MH. Is that too much light? Should I lower it.

Calc-450 (Elos)
Mag-1500 (Elos)
DKH-10

Thanks

46886Blue_Milleopora_001.jpg

//http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/46886Blue_Milleopora_002.jpg

Mine is very simuliar; pale, poor polyp extention, and slow growth.

It was suggested to me by several folks on here that it might be the Coral Beauty Angel I have effecting its PE and thus its color as well.

I haven't managed to catch the CBA yet to verify but I did frag a piece and place it in my frag tank. PE improved as did the color, however my lighting is also different in the frag tank, 20k as opposed to 14K with Actinic.

Zero no3 and zero po4 - just tested with Salifert test kits (I haven't tested those 2 in a long time)

I should metnion that I have several other SPS in my tank with no problem. I do have a Coral Beauty, so its interesting you mentioned that fish. I had the CB before I started SPS and have never tried to capture it although I know it could be a problem. I also have a Yellow Tang, clown goby and a pair of Tomato Clowns.

I recall the piece being bluer when I bought it, but it wasn't a stunning blue, more pale than deep blue. The piece has grown for sure, but polyp extension has always been poor - I don't get great polyp extension on any of my pieces except my ORA Roscoe. I have a Rose Milli as well further down in my tank and it has a nice rose color.

I had to remove my coral beauty because I had little or no pe but only after one day of remove the CBA I had a lot more PE. Only one acro is still recovering from the nipping.

Ok - I will attempt to catch it.

Reeferhead - I see you are trying to catch yours. Let me know how it goes if you don't mind. I would like to place a trap in the tank vs. messing with a net - I doubt I could catch it with all the rockwork, plus I'm sure I would snag the net on some of my bigger SPS. Any suggestions from anyone?

Thanks all - Tom

I had to take just about all of my rock out to catch him. But I have a lot of frags. Hope that you can catch him with the trap.

I'm borrowing a trap from a local reef club member but it will likely be a couple weeks before I get around to it.

Back