Blue painters tape inside tank to,remove coralline?

Hal

I need to remove some coralline algae from my dry tank. I don't want to use a metal,scraper for fear of causing scratches. Plastic blades are taking forever. I had this mad genius idea of soaking a sponge in vinegar and taping it to the glass (hence the blue painters' tape) over the coralline. Thoughts?

glass tank? Use a razor blade. Keep it flat. There will be no scratches.

Acrylic tank? Use a plastic scraper. It sucks, but that's what you get with an acrylic tank.

Vinegar will do the trick in a dry tank. As will muratic acid though I much prefer vinegar as it's safer to use.

I don't think blue painters tape would hurt anything, but it's not going to remove coralline by itself, unless it's already loose and peeling. I agree with the vinegar and scrubbing.

Vinegar or if you want something even stronger ,then citric acid crystals from supermarket,food grade , dissolved in a bit of water.

Get the vinegar in spraying bottle and the news paper spray the news paper with vinegar and stick to coraline then soak it with more vinegar that will soften the coraline for easy removal

glass tank? Use a razor blade. Keep it flat. There will be no scratches.

Acrylic tank? Use a plastic scraper. It sucks, but that's what you get with an acrylic tank.

+1

It's really hard to scratch glass with a razor unless you intentionally do it. Acrylic on the other hand... Just don't even think of trying it.

Like others mentioned, if glass razor is best and should be perfectly fine. If acrylic I've always used an old credit card or gift card etc. and me clean magic erasers (original) works perfect

Back