blue & purple acro

rbja

i had bought a blue acro a half a yr ago and in a few weeks it went from blue to a light pink so i thought it was bleaching so i turned my lights back from 10hrs to 5hrs . (using t-5) so i went a bought a purple frag and 3 weeks later its starting to turn light pink. any idea. they both are growing very well besides the color

change them out 8 to 9 weeks ago
blue plus
super actinic
aqua sun
blue plus
aqua blue

thats what i had before to.

I have the same problem with blue milli (which now look brownish,), purple acro (also brownish with green polyps) and purple porite (not quite brown, but not deep purple like when I got it), all are growing and have good PE.
I have other blue and purple corals that look fine, so it seems to affect only certain purple/blue color corals, but not all. I use MH light.

I don't have that issue . I use t-5 's . Several people have different lighting so it can't be that . Did anyone look into the chemistry aspect ?
BTW what brand of salt is being used ?
Is anyone using a two part for alk and calcium ?
Any other supplements being used ? amino's / vc / potassium ?

I was reading the neozeo method and read that browning of coral can be caused by high po4. so I am going to try to add zeolite/carbon/phosphate remover filter. I currently don't use any kind of chemical media filter.

here is the part that mentions it

Discussion:
Maintaining a healthy reef aquarium (or any aquarium, for that matter) is largely
dependant upon limiting the concentrations of nutrients such as nitrate and
phosphate; in doing so, the general health of the inhabitants tends to be relatively
high (presumably because more attention is being paid to water quality) and the
appearance of the system remains more pristine. So-called “nuisance organisms” such
as filamentous algae and cyanobacteria are rarely visible in systems with
immeasurable phosphate, and stony corals maintained in such systems are generally
more vibrantly-colored as opposed to being predominantly brown or a shade thereof
(an appearance that is the result of the high population density of zooxanthellae in the
coral tissue, caused in large part by an elevated phosphate concentration in the
system).

Back