blue ring octopus????

lordmbsa

hey im highly intrested in the blue ring octobus and never had one but would like to get one what size tank would it do good in i would put it in its own tank with live rock and was wondering how big do they get etc. and if anyone has had one i would love input and i have read there not realli safe with other fish but would like to put sumthing in it with it

honestly.. I'm really not trying to sound like an ***.. but you really should read a TON before you consider it....give it a good 3 or 4 months of reading a few hours a nite (not kidding...) before you even think about buying this octopus.. you do know that they can kill you quite easily, right? they also can pick up rocks and throw them around.. possibly even shattering the glass.. I really wouldn't buy an type of octopus let alone one that can kill you..

i know they can kill i would love to have one its realli cool i dont know of any other octopus that looks amazing like that you have any comments on one

i personally think your crazy for wanting to own something that could kill you before you could even call for help.

i also highly doubt you will find anybody here that has ever owned one. they are a restricted species and people wont inport them to just anybody. not to mention i can almost guarentee you that no pet store is going to sell you one as they probably cant even get them.

i admit they are very pretty and if they werent highly deadly i would probably have a special tank setup for it. so i wish you luck if you decide to go that route.

You can get them, but you don't need to do it on a whim. You need to know, first off, that they don't live very long. You also need to know exactly how to set your tank up and how to feed it and handle it (and how to make sure it doesn't get out of the tank). They aren't exactly beginner species, and I don't mean beginner in salt water, I mean beginner in dealing with cephalopods. If you want some very specific advice, you might consider asking for help on the Cephalopods Forum.

Cheers,

Don

i really just can't recommend it.. it's a bad idea.. I completely agree with you that they're amazing looking.. they are really beautiful.. but there's tons of animals that are beautiful that are awful pets.. ex.. manta rays.. whale sharks.. orcas.. maybe even a cheetah.. all are beautiful and great to look at, but none make good pets.

Unfortunately, there are several vendors that will occasionally offer them, and fairly cheaply at that.

Like Joe said, these guys are very short lived- somewhere around a year. Since almost all of them that are imported are adults, that means they have just a few months to live, if that, once you get them. There's no way to predict how much longer they have left when you get one.

Also, the blue rings that make them so beautiful are a warning sign. They're only displayed when the animal is upset- which should be almost never if you're caring properly for the animal. The rest of the time they're drab tan and brown just like any other octopus.

They're also escape artists. They can squeeze out of any hole bigger than their beak. That's smaller than a pencil eraser for these guys, which only get about as big as the palm of your hand. They're also surprisingly strong and can lift any covers that aren't secure. They're very smart and if there's any way for them to get out of the tank, they will likely find it. Obviously, an octopus that could kill you crawling around on your floor is a bad situation, especially if you don't realize it's there.

Octopuses change colors, so most of them could be potentially very colorful. I had an Octopus cyanea that would be bright red with white dots when he was excited or angry, brown and white mottled when he was sneaking and hiding, and bluish green when he was scared. Almost all, or maybe all, octopuses are somewhat venomous, even if they aren't dangerous like the Blue Rings. They can all bite, although they don't bite easily. And, they are all escape artists, which is why I mentioned having your tank set up for one before you get it. As Mike says, they are astoundingly strong for their size, and can pry off tank covers and lift weighted lids to climb out onto the floor. The best method I ever found for keeping them in a tank was to put a strip of astroturf around the top, since they don't like to climb across it or touch it. However, when I dumped a second one into the tank with the first, he immediately climbed out over the astroturf, so it's not like they CAN'T climb over it, they just don't like to. Keep reading and researching, they're neat pets if you know what you're getting into.

Cheers,

Don

www.tonmo.com You should look at this web forum. It has everything to do with octopi and cephalapods and such. I've heard some stories about peoples octopi getting loose from their tank even when they've had a tight seal. I can only imagine a blue octo what they could get out of since they only grow to be arond a few inches.

Well i dont know how old you are but based on your spelling im guessing young. With 2 years of hobby experiance dont think you should even get a cephalopod let alone a blue ring. People who have been keeping octos for 10 years plus dont keep them. Octos that are available in the hobby may be small but they are strong and will not hesitate to rip appart your aquascape. With a blue rings small size they can get through virtually anyhole. Now for their poisen, Blue rings are the most poiseness octo in the world and being in pine hill if you were bitten and on the off chance you made it to the hospital the likely hood of you living is very slim. Ive bit stung shredded its not a fun experience. I had enough trouble getting simple care for a simple lionfish sting the first time it happened. If i was alergic to it i would have died sitting in the hospital for that long. Your talking about a very exotic VERY SMALL VERY POISENESS octo you cant just stick your hand in the tank when you want to move something. Octos need perfect water perameters no room for error vey delicate creatures with 2 years of hobby experiance i dont know if you could achieve the amount of care needed for any cephalopod. TONMO is a great website visit and join it get the info you need for an octo but on the subject of a blue ring your going to get the same thing i just told you. Good luck on your quest for knowledge on cephalopods but please for the sake of yourself and the animal stay away from them till you know what your doing.

im very sorry when i type fast and misspell words im 20 yrs old and been in this hobbie for 8 years and never owned a octopus and was intrested but hey never mind

Look, I'm a beginner at this, I just set up my first tank two weeks ago, and even I know it's a bad idea. The owner of the lfs where I get all my stuff has 20 yrs of experience and he won't order one for anyone, even if they they know more about blue rings than he does. He says it's just irresponsible to even consider buying one. Are you going to get bit? Probably not. Will it get out and crawl up your stairs to get into your bed? Probably not. But the thing is, people have had it happen to them. I volunteer at an aquarium that has a GPO and the amount of equipment required to just keep that thing alive is astonishing. Cephs are for experienced hobbyists that have a lot of resources ($$$) to care for them. Trying to handle an octo is difficult, the woman who cares for the GPO was grabbed by it the other day and she had to radio for three other keepers to free her from it. No joke, these guys are strong and getting them off of you is like trying to grab jello. If you want an octo just get a darwf species and place some colorful corals around it and it will match the colors. Better yet get a cuttlefish and it'll give you seizures with the amount of colors it will flash at you. Just don't get a blue ring, it won't live long and when it dies you have to get it out of the tank. Think about it, even if it's dead, how do you know? What if it's not dead? You might want to buy some knight armour with metal gauntlets to handle that bad boy because even when it's dead it's still dangerous. So many reasons to not get a blue ring, so little reasons to buy it.

im just asking how he was going to insult the intelligence of the youth when he is not spelling correctly... im sorry i was a bit offended

sps crackhead its cool i just thought people on this site was helpfull but i guess there are sour grapes here and think they know all of the circle i hope i spelled everything correct this time

they are very pretty, but as mentioned above they only show there rings when they feel threatened.

if you want an octopus then i recomend getting some kind of tank you can completely seal from top to bottom. i have seen some very nice looking ones out there. dont let people stop you from getting what you want. just make some changes to what you are looking for and dont attempt something as dangerous as that when you will probably never even see its rings unless you upset it on purpose, wich could stress the animal out and lead to death.

i also agree with spscrackhead, for him to even come on here and insult somebody for there spelling is just stupid. it is downright ignorant in fact. funny how he misspelled some things after here insulted you though....:lol:

yea im a sour grape when people get stupid and im sorry about my spelling im typing with 1 hand at 2 in the morning lol. Lordmbsa not being rude but ive told this to alot of people over the years mostly young kids who dont know anything and crackhead age usualy does have something to do with spelling. no insult was meant about spelling lol guygettnby and crackhead think before you make an assumption or ask i dont know. Lordmbsa head over to tonmo good people there that know alot most of what i know came from or was refffered to by them.

you made an assumption that he was young... he could be typing early too.... with his left hand. who knows.

no question is a stupid question.
it would have been stupid for him to go out and get it without asking first. here he is asking questions doing the right thing and you are calling him stupid. not the right thing to do if you ask me

Back