Blue tang swollen again...

PCguy21

In Memoriam
Something is wrong with this blue tang i got. At first i stopped hypo because i thought the salinity was too low for him.. he was bloating like he had water retention eyes poping out

Salinity eventually went back to normal salinity 1.024 frok m 1.009. Took 3 days at normal but he went back to normal size.

Well ive been dosing antibiotics in my tank because of a bacterial infection on my yellow tang and suspected naso tang. I noticed the bkue tang is swelling again.. eyes both poping out body is swollen.. same exact bs as last time.

What is wrong with this blue tang are they copper. Hypo. Antibiotic sensative or something ?

If the fish isn't eating a proper diet, could be a cause. However, sounds more like dropsy or something similar, which is typically a bacterial or viral infection. With everything the fish have been fighting, a secondary infection may have happened.

For internal treatment, I personally use Kanaplex and Focus, mix it together with the fish food, and feed to get the medication into their system. Obviously, if the fish isn't eating, then it would be better to pull out and put into it's own QT where you can dose the meds effectively. If you do this, you can use Kanaplex and Furan-2 together.

And no, it's not copper/antibiotic/hypo sensitive. However, the cupramine/hypo combination COULD have created a problem within the fish, and same goes for how quickly the salinity was raised.

Well he wasnt in cupramine and hypo for more then 2 days before i raised salinity and got rid of copper.. So i dunno what his deal is. Its very frustrating to finally fix ich.velvet and for something new to happen like the yellow tangs bacterial infection and this blowing up blue tang. And fyi the ue tang was in furan 2 for 4 days then he started blowing up again.. So i dunno if this is really bacterial

I cant wait till this is over with though

Fyi the red blotchs on my yellow tang have dropped by like 70% using furan 2 but im day 5 now and they arent completetly going away. Should i up the dosage or just continue with the dosage on the bottle of 1 scoop per 20g and keep going until its gone

Secondary infections tend to occur after an ich/velvet fix. Think about humans, when we have cuts of our skin, we are prone to infection if it's not treated correctly. Same goes for fish, ich and velvet cause wounds so it's possible a secondary infection occurs.

As for the furan 2, it's not a complete fix. In addition, if it is an internal infection which this one seems to be, unless the fish is eating it, very unlikely the problem will be solved.

Never dose more than what is said with those meds, if anything, dose a little less.

Back