blue tangs in very small tanks... what compells people to do so...

@Meggie2409 How long should I acclimate this gold fish? Should I use drip method?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Meg_BTang.jpg
    Meg_BTang.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
Watch my video, and tell me that fish would be "happy" in a 38 gallon tank.

I am not saying your big fish will be happy in a 38 G tank. I am saying the smaller tangs look happy in the 38G tank. If I am not correct point out to me why you think they look unhappy.

Seems happy enough....

The fish in brian's video are beautiful, healthy looking and plump, too. Regardless, I noticed how both tangs are making an almost constant circling motion. That constant turning cannot be comfortable for the fish, nor can it be very good for them. And that is in an 8' tank, imagine what it would be like in something smaller. Brian has the good sense to move the fish knowing it has outgrown the tank, and will be doing it a large favor. (No intentions of insulting anyone with that last comment.)

This thread should be renamed " blue tangs in very small tanks and the people who think that it is ok vs. the people who think that it is terrible and why they should be in a tank of specific size" argument thread. Not trying to be (too) sarcastic here, but this is turning into a war almost. Everybody has their own opinion of EVERYTHING and most think they are right about whatever EVERYTHING may be. I usually dont post on these type threads but I had to say something. Because the real topic of this thread has veered away from blue tangs and into nothing but arguments.

@bmack that is funny! I think ur gold fish has ich lol I assume u are going to be upgrading in the near future? hahaha

But seriously what this thread comes down to is the fact that people can still be educated and buy the tang just cause they "want it" I agree that tangs as with other large or robust swimmers need a fair amt of swimming room and quality of life is not going to be as great as a larger tank.. but to say someone shouldn't or cant keep a blue/regal/hippo in a tank smaller than 55 is ridiculous!!!! And that we have to have 120 + gal tank for it to survive I also think is overkill! I think the reason this thread is so controversial is the fact that you are trying to tell people what you are saying is right and what they are doing is wrong... What is wrong we all do! We have created artificial environments and expect these beautiful creatures to adapt... Like I said myself I have a 6in hippo in my 55 and it is as happy as a fish cld be as far as normal behaviors.. so maybe we shld focus on how to sustain such a beautiful fish in the environment that we can provide it. AKA stronger currents, better food, toys(yes toys, tangs are very intelligent and actually need to be stimulated) and of course I do not condone them being kept after 4 in or so in something as small as 45 gal but I think for it to grow and become hardy it can be kept and kept happy in a smaller tank. Well as long as we keep the requirements in mind... I know my tang loves to chill infront of my powerheads riding the current.. Just some thoughts whew... lol

We love our fish---and we love certain fish; and it's really bad news to hear that, for their health, the very fish we most want need a tank larger than our space for a tank. I don't blame anyone for resisting the notion that it's just not going to work well. I'd love to have butterfly fish, but---they eat corals, which I also love, and butterflies still die in captivity at a rate that makes me say---only for experts with really big tanks and equipment on a par with the Seattle Aquarium. I'd like on one level to have an 8 foot long tank. On another, ---my living room won't accommodate it and I can't afford the tank, the electric bill, or the specimens to fill it. Someday someone may perfect a rig that will handle butterfly fishes. Until then---I leave them in the ocean, and wish they would never be sold to anybody who isn't expert. The blue tangs made so enormously popular by "Dory" are being stocked and sold by fish stores whose employees ought to say---only for megasystems. But they don't warn people. They ought to be VERY rarely collected. VERY rarely sold. And I'm very sorry for people that love them, but it's just not appropriate to have blues or vlamingis or any other fish that needs big spaces pent up in little tanks. Say you pick the right moment to sell your fish---and you take him back to the store--and they sell him to some guy with another little tank. He dies. There are just too many blue tangs in the retail system for most of them to survive more than a year. And they're still being caught and sold. Sometimes Disney popularity is rough on a species. Kids were flushing fish down toilets after that movie, to send them to the ocean. Best intentions in the world. But not always a good outcome.

so maybe we shld focus on how to sustain such a beautiful fish in the environment that we can provide it. AKA stronger currents, better food, toys(yes toys, tangs are very intelligent and actually need to be stimulated)
I know my tang loves to chill infront of my powerheads riding the current..

I agree with the first statement, and I think stronger and added currents for these fish to play in may help when an upgrade is needed but not immediately available, but may not necessary make an optimal environment for a rapidly growing fish that requires maximum linear swimming space.

Best intentions in the world. But not always a good outcome.

Unfortunately, that is oftentimes the case in this hobby.

i don't think there is a size that is big enough to "optimally" house our fish in the home aquaria. even some of the larger home aquarium 125+ gallon is way too small when we consider the natural habitat where these fish came from. btw, tuskfishes can grow upwards of 10 inches, so is a 125g big enough? the hobby should be enjoyed less the controversy.

Then give me the answer to my questions. Just show me I am wrong and I will correct it. Don't just tell me "you are wrong".

I am one (( after learning the hard way )) that believes in stocking your tank for the tank that you have right now, not the one that you plan on having in the future -- things will change. So, if you watched Brain's video you should be able to see how big they get and how active they are -- and it should become clear how a 45 gallon tank is just way too small.

i have a 75 and really want a tang... im scared to go the bristle tooth route... what are peoples thoughts on a 75g with lots of open tank room for swimmin? Obviously cant have a powder blue but what about some of the small bristle tooths or even a cole?

I think one thing that most people ignore are the natural behavior of fish. Many fish would not have territories much bigger than some of the tanks we house them in, while others have huge territories that we cannot possibly recreate.

As far as contributing to the conversation, I won't house a tang in a tank smaller than 6' and I won't buy a small tang just to have to replace it. Part of the fun for me in keeping aquaria (fresh and marine) is creating a small ecosystem that everything thrives in. I have never had a large marine tank, so I have never kept tangs.

Another personal opinion, with all of the fish available to hobbyist I can easily find cool fish that stay small and like to hold close to a small area. I know that when I am setting up my 40 breeder that some fish species are out of the question, so what?

No, I put the tang in my tank because i thought it would look dope. I was correct.

this is exactly what my original thought for this thread was to help keep from happening... that is one of, if not the worst statements i have ever heard here on RC... absolutely disturbing

people, please dont do this... ever

I think you are right on. Now I feel like it's me against the world. I hate to think I am the only one who keeps a blue tang in a 45G tank.

you are not, and i am sorry, but i missed your previously stated question... and at no time did i call anyone dumb...

we are simply having a discussion on what is right for the animal...

i really need you guys to keep it polite here, i would never get on anyone else's thread and make scene...

i also want to thank all staff and mods for their patience...

please guys, relax, lets discuss, not slander

I am not saying your big fish will be happy in a 38 G tank. I am saying the smaller tangs look happy in the 38G tank. If I am not correct point out to me why you think they look unhappy.

i have watched it a few times, and they definatly look healthy and active... my point of discussion would be, that in the near future, this enviroment is unfit and unhealthy... clearly he has done a good job to this point, but it is now time for them to have a new home...

The fish in brian's video are beautiful, healthy looking and plump, too. Regardless, I noticed how both tangs are making an almost constant circling motion. That constant turning cannot be comfortable for the fish, nor can it be very good for them. And that is in an 8' tank, imagine what it would be like in something smaller. Brian has the good sense to move the fish knowing it has outgrown the tank, and will be doing it a large favor. (No intentions of insulting anyone with that last comment.)

excellent point, thank you for adding

Back