Blue Throat Trigger

I have a female in my 125 for the last 8 months...model citizen, friendliest fish in the tank, very shy. She eats everything I put in...flake, pellets, brine, cyclo, mysis, spirulina, etc.

I also have, red legs, astrea, nerite, turbo's, peppermint and cleaner shrimp...no issues.

matilda.jpg

My female ended up jumping out of my tank. It managed to jump and flopped around until it fell in the back and got stuck between my tank stand and floor molding. Unfortunately, I was on duty and didn't come home until the day after. She died upside down and what looks to be a pretty painful death. She was the braver on of the couple too. Had her eating by hand too. It'll be a bit before I try to get another one. The male was definitely looking for her for a while, swimming around the area she usually sleeps at. sucks.

I had a male and a female in my 180 but had to sell them when I moved. I had no problem with them for years with cleaner shrimp or corals.

I finally found a pair today. I am picking them up Sunday when I head back home. Both are eating and both swimming around the tanks at the store.. Really excited to get them.

I finally found a pair today. I am picking them up Sunday when I head back home. Both are eating and both swimming around the tanks at the store.. Really excited to get them.

Cool! Be sure to post some pics here once they settle in.

I hope you don't mind me asking a question, and I don't want to hijack the thread but..... How are they when it comes to moving rocks around?

I love mine but he has a bad habit of spitting water into my lights. Mine is only 4" and is not moving any rocks so far.

got them home today! they are drip acclimating right now and should be going into there new home within 20 minutes.

I got them home today and drip acclimated them for 2 hrs. Female went straight into rock work and wedged herself into a cave. Male went to a rock pile and hide behind it. Well after about 2 hrs the male come out slowly to check out the tank. Female was about a half hr later. Now both are out swimming around checking out the whole tank. Already tried to see if they would eat and the female loves mysis and also likes rods food. Male is still little weary of food. But I am SOOOOO happy both are out swimming around looking good. going to get some silver-sides tomorrow cause thats what I saw the male eat before at the store. Anything else I should feed these guys that they like? I normally feed frozen every day or two, and Pellets numerous times per day.

I have a pair in my 180 SPS tank. As matter of fact, just picked them up today :)
They are very graceful swimmers and so far only the male came out. The female is hidding most of the time. I will give them a few days to get used to the new environment. The only thing worry me is my tank has major ich attach to the new fishes. The old mates are doing great tho. Hope they can love through that stage.

I love mine, he is a model citizen. I have had him about 6 months and he is roughly 4.5 inches long, AND FAT! He has never messed with my other fish, two shrimp or corals. He has, however mistaken my finger for food and boy he packs a punch. HE IS A PIG! Even eats nori on the clip, i have worried about my Kole tang before wondering if he is getting enough of it........

Just got mine today! What a cool looking fish. My 10 year old blue tang died earlier this week and I saw my buddy at my lfs petting this guy and rubbing his belly. I've always thought triggers would be so cool to have, but I didn't know there were any that were reef safe. I'm excited about this new guy!

I want to say thank you to everyone who provided their input on this thread. I brought my boy home last night and I'm absolutely in LOVE.

He's still a bit shy, but when he does come out he's so gentle. Just slowly cruising around and checking stuff out. He's taken to the same cave as my cleaner shrimp and doesn't even notice them.

Triggers have always been some of my favorite fish. I love their shape, the look and how their fins move when they swim. If you have a reef and love triggers like me these are the fish for you! Get one before they become all the rage and you can't find them anymore!

Congratz they are a great fish! Just wish mine would stop spitting on my lights.

GREAT!!! Now you tell me. I built an LED retro fit from Rapid LED... All I need is my trigger shorting out a sting of 12 LEDs at $50 / pop. :hmm3:

Triggers are awesome fish but they are not reef safe, they like shrimps and crabs and occasional small fish, so unfortunate.

Triggers are awesome fish but they are not reef safe, they like shrimps and crabs and occasional small fish, so unfortunate.
Jesus man... What's unfortunate is that you post this stuff w/o doing any research...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?c=720&pCatId=233
Does that link say NO - Not reef safe? No... it says with caution. Why? because these guys are relatively new to the trade. Blue throat triggers swim in the open ocean and eat swimming creatures. They don't go after shrimp or crabs or snails.

There are 2 pages of people on here saying they have them and they are model citizens. Perhaps you're a troll?

Back