Blue Throat Trigger

bdare

Salty Dude
Premium Member
Does anyone have one? I'm about to upgrade to a 120 and I REALLY want one. Just curious if he'll give my current inhabitants any trouble. I do have LOTS of shrimp, crabs, snails and clams.

They are usually quite tame, and make great tankmates. When first added to an aquarium, it's likely it will be shy and hide for the first few days / weeks. When it comes to inverts, they are about as safe as a trigger can be, but with everything there are exceptions to the rules.

They are usually quite tame, and make great tankmates. When first added to an aquarium, it's likely it will be shy and hide for the first few days / weeks. When it comes to inverts, they are about as safe as a trigger can be, but with everything there are exceptions to the rules.
Hey Chris,

Do you have one? I've read the same, but looking for real experiences.

Thanks,
Ben

I had a few that were model tank citizens. Most awesome "reef safe" fish you can get IMO. I bought a single for my 120 and it died from what appeared to be a blockage. It bent over in half and just swam in circles then slowly settled to the bottom. Hoped it was a fluke as none of my other fish had any issues. Waited a few months and bought a pair (male/female) They were great for a few weeks then one died with similar symptons followed by the other a week or so later. Never figured out why and have had great success with everything else. Needless to say I won't spend the money on another even though they are my favorites!

Never touched any snails, clam, shrimp, crabs, stars etc.

I had a few that were model tank citizens. Most awesome "reef safe" fish you can get IMO. I bought a single for my 120 and it died from what appeared to be a blockage. It bent over in half and just swam in circles then slowly settled to the bottom. Hoped it was a fluke as none of my other fish had any issues. Waited a few months and bought a pair (male/female) They were great for a few weeks then one died with similar symptons followed by the other a week or so later. Never figured out why and have had great success with everything else. Needless to say I won't spend the money on another even though they are my favorites!

Never touched any snails, clam, shrimp, crabs, stars etc.

Wow! Sorry to hear about yours dying! I'd be sad :'(

Sounds like it might be worth a shot!

I was sad. And please don't let my experience deter anyone from getting one. It seems most have better success.

They are without a doubt the coolest fish you could have IMO. They are more like dogs than fish :)

Hey Chris,

Do you have one? I've read the same, but looking for real experiences.

Thanks,
Ben

Not any more, but I've had them, and we usually have a few at the store. Very nice fish, beautiful, a little food aggressive once they become adjusted to the tank, but very safe when it comes to inverts.

I've seen them go nuts and develop a taste for shellfish, but it's very rare, and we usually be attributed it to underfeeding and inadequate environment. I've also seen tangs develop a taste for zoo's, so take that experience with a grain of salt....

It's kind of like my unicorn in that I've had some tough luck keeping them, the last two I got didn't ship very well from the supplier, and wouldn't start eating again. I kind of gave up on them, but there is a new one we've had at the store for a while, and I've been debating on tossing it in my tank.

I have had one in my 90 reef for about 6+ months now. I have had no issues with him picking on my corals. I also still have my peppermint shrimp and pair or mated coral band shrimp.

I had one for around 6 months (until it jumped out and went crispy :( I don't know why it did that..)

For the longest time it would hide in the rocks and only came out to eat. Once the food was gone it would rush back into the rocks. After weeks of this it finally would stay out in the open and I could feed it by hand.

I never saw it eat any of my hermits/snails/or shrimp. It was a pig and ate tons though. Fun to watch it steal back food from the chromis who tried to eat the table shrimp I would feed the trigger lol.

I don't know if I am the exception or the rule, but I had issues with mine pretty quick. Had him in QT and was feeding him well and he was in good shape. I put in a fairy wrasse and the next morning I had only half a fairy wrasse- nice big chunk missing out of him. Took him back to the LFS for credit.

Never heard of a blue throat going after another fish. Are you sure it wasn't something else like a crab etc?

Yea, it surprised me from all I had read about them. It is a QT tank so nothing in there but pvc hiding places, the blue jaw, kole tang and blue side fairy wrasse. It was literally the next morning after putting in the wrasse (and pretty sure the kole didn't do it). I would love to hear that this was a total "michael meyers" fish and that none of the others would do that, but turned me off them.

Yea, it surprised me from all I had read about them. It is a QT tank so nothing in there but pvc hiding places, the blue jaw, kole tang and blue side fairy wrasse. It was literally the next morning after putting in the wrasse (and pretty sure the kole didn't do it). I would love to hear that this was a total "michael meyers" fish and that none of the others would do that, but turned me off them.

Mine is great. Had him for almost a year. I posted in the fish forum when I frst got him that he would not eat. A few guys PM'd me about raw table shrimp. He took to it very fast and from there I got him on all kinds of frozan and nori. He still won't take pellets but is def one of my favorites.

Mine is great. Had him for almost a year. I posted in the fish forum when I frst got him that he would not eat. A few guys PM'd me about raw table shrimp. He took to it very fast and from there I got him on all kinds of frozan and nori. He still won't take pellets but is def one of my favorites.

Do you have any shrimp or crabs in your tank?

I love mine. A very easy going fish. Eats like a pig and leaves his tank mates alone. Fun to watch and is on the "short list" for being a pet. Highly recommended.

I had a pair, male and female in my SPS reef with clams for 8 months. No problems at all, the male (blue patch) jumped and died four months ago. Very tame. The female lives in a rock cave, which is slowing being encroached by a Montipora Digitata, the trigger keeps breaking the coral so it does not close in her cave.

Do you have any shrimp or crabs in your tank?

Fire shrimp right now that he never even looks at. I had some blue legs and 2 green emeralds but that was over a year ago I put them in, I'm sure they've lived past their lifespans.

Back