Blue throat trigger

joeyt66

Will they eat my snails and hermits? I had a niger that did and had to get rid of it . Was wondering if the blue would be different or does it just depend on the fish itself?

I have kept 2 blue throat triggers and had problems with neither. They never bothered another other livestock in the tank fish or invert. Actually they were very timid and would spend a lot of time in hiding.

I believe they are generally accepted to be reef safe and the experience I have had has definitely proven this.

i currently keep one in my 75g. He leaves my clean-up crew alone. occasionally he'll pick'em up an move them, but hasnt eaten any in the 8 months ive owned him.

I have had two of them, and had no problems. I have never heard of anyone keeping them long term though

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12260365#post12260365 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oxbeard
I have kept 2 blue throat triggers and had problems with neither. They never bothered another other livestock in the tank fish or invert. Actually they were very timid and would spend a lot of time in hiding.

I believe they are generally accepted to be reef safe and the experience I have had has definitely proven this.

Mine does the same thing. I tried putting him in a FO setup and he freaked out. He loves all of th eLR in my reef tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12265515#post12265515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fireworm
I have had two of them, and had no problems. I have never heard of anyone keeping them long term though

What do you mean? You don't know if they will be safe long term or are you saying they don't live in captivity long term?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12266640#post12266640 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wallygatorsps
Mine does the same thing. I tried putting him in a FO setup and he freaked out. He loves all of th eLR in my reef tank

I really think they feel more comfortable if they have places to retreat to and hide in the LR.

While both I have had spent quite a bit of time in the LR, they would come out frequently to make a couple passes around the tank. This has still made them very enjoyable to own.

As far as longevity, my first I had for around 8 to 10 months. He was very active and healthy and then just disappeared one day. It wasn't unusual for him to stay in hiding 2 or 3 days and then suddenly reappear so I didn't think anything about it at first, but then I never saw him again. Not real sure what happened to him, but I have speculated that maybe it got lodged in the LR and stuck. Of course, that's just a theory.

My second has only been in the system for about 2 months now, but hopefully he'll hang around longer. Since losing my first, I have seen several post stating that long term survival may be questionable in a system.

well i purchased a male last night and hes out and swimming also eating already. Hope he leaves the clean up alone ...

Back