Blue Tort

SSalty

Are blue torts concidered a tough SPS coral to keep? All of my other SPS are doing great, but I think my blue tort is in the RTN stage.

How many bulbs does the TX5 have in it and what bulbs? , How is the flow in the tank . Your alk is fine 3.5 meq/l ? Should be ok , I do not think it would cause RTN anyway .

Keeping a tort alive isnt very diffacult with the right amount of flow and lighting its just growth which tends to be a pain .

What are you feeding? Temp? PH?

5 bulbs, (2) ATI aquablues (1) ge 6500k (2) ATI blue plus's.

I have (2) maxi 1200's, but the blue tort was in direct flow. I know I probably need more flow though.

I am only feeding mysis, and I was only feeding everyother day. I was basically under feeding (I think). Within the past week I started feeding everyday, I am hoping this will help with the coloration of my SPS, which was lacking.

My temp is 79, PH is 8.1

What would you suggest about feeding?

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12215544#post12215544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cutegecko3
What is your phos. level?

Don't know, I am under the assumption that without a high quality test kit, phos won't even show. I have a API test kit, which reads zero.

I don't have an algae problem at all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12215502#post12215502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SSalty
5 bulbs, (2) ATI aquablues (1) ge 6500k (2) ATI blue plus's.

I have (2) maxi 1200's, but the blue tort was in direct flow. I know I probably need more flow though.

I am only feeding mysis, and I was only feeding everyother day. I was basically under feeding (I think). Within the past week I started feeding everyday, I am hoping this will help with the coloration of my SPS, which was lacking.

My temp is 79, PH is 8.1

What would you suggest about feeding?

Thanks

I stick too fish poop and dt's oyster eggs , You do need more flow but if its getting circulation around that tort you should be ok . There is probably something wrong with your water parameters .

When you get the chance upgrade your flow a little bit , get some tunze nano's and mod them or kor #3's or #4's you can always find those for cheap in the for sale section.

Well your alk range is fine considering its about average ( between 8-12 . 3.5 meq/l is I think about 10 or close to it ) Not enough to cause RTN anyway. How long did you have the tort so we can at least rule out lighting and or flow

Might want to wait for some one elses opinion then that has more experience with torts . I kept them under T5's on a 48" tank but i was using the Aquatinics solar flare.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12215722#post12215722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLKTANG
you said the Tort "was in direct flow" that could cause tissue recession.

That's what I was thinking. I was about 12 inches from a maxi 1200.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12215766#post12215766 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLKTANG
thats probably it,move it away ,& it should recover.

Good luck.

Thats what I did.

Thanks guys.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12217920#post12217920 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmc0814
And increase flow. Get the maxijet mods or something along those lines.

That is what I will be ordering. :bum:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12215722#post12215722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BLKTANG
you said the Tort "was in direct flow" that could cause tissue recession.

Thats my guess also, inderect flow is what your looking for, IMHO

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12218373#post12218373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by carman9941
Thats my guess also, inderect flow is what your looking for, IMHO

That is where it gets confusing (to me) with SPS. They need LOTS of flow, but direct flow is too much. That doesn't make sense. But I guess it is TRUE because I moved the Tort out of direct flow and it seems to be doing "fine", no more RTN, woohoo..

Can someone please enlighten me on the "proper" flow requirements of SPS?

Back