Bobbit Worm !?!?

Kharn

MANTISMAN
G'day

Been doing a bit of research on these worms and was wondering if anyone had ever kept one in a tank of theres either with things or in a tank by itself ?

They look very very interesting!

Cheers

bobbit worm

bobbit worm

Had one in a previous tank. they don't require any special care. They are really beautiful, mine was an irradecent color. The only problem is that they are nocturnal and willl hide at the first sight of light.

Had one in a previous tank. they don't require any special care. They are really beautiful, mine was an irradecent color. The only problem is that they are nocturnal and willl hide at the first sight of light.

G'day "javickrey"

One of the reasons I asked was that I have seen NO VIDS / PICS of them in an aquarium before, that is this species particularly, the ones I have seen in pics are different colors (and maybe other species) and seem to walk about or wonder...

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html there is a species "Eunicids" these ones are the species I have seen in videos and pics in aquariums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobbit_worm This is the type I see in videos of divers in the ocean, never seen one like this in a tank.
Order: Eunicida
Family: Eunicidae
Genus: Eunicethe

I would imagine that a worm like this considering its ability to grow to a very large size would need a very deep sand bed, if anyone knows of a great place with info on them I would be greatly appreciative!

Cheers

You don't need anything special to grow Eunicethe. They are omnivore and will eat just about anything and can grow up to 1 metre in length. If you like to keep them, you should set up a dedicated tank or provide lots of food (as it grows) to avoid having it eat coral, fish, crabs, shrimps, etc (and it will eat them if there isn't enough food). I would't consider Eunicethe reef safe.

For further information, here is a link for you: The Large Worm Turns…

If I were to keep one it would be in its own tank designed around it.

I wouldn't put any body part near those vice like jaws, I mean ever video I have seen of people feeding them they have a feeding rod and even then they usually just push the food towards the head.

There is an article on the net of one in an aquarium in EU that greow very large 4ft and was killing fish and slashing up coral in the aquarium, the staff would find coral sliced in 1/2 by it....

I have yet to see one of the species I am interested in, inside an aquarium...they have all been another species in the same family Eunicids so I dunno....:uhoh3:

I wouldn't put any body part near those vice like jaws, I mean ever video I have seen of people feeding them they have a feeding rod and even then they usually just push the food towards the head.

There is an article on the net of one in an aquarium in EU that greow very large 4ft and was killing fish and slashing up coral in the aquarium, the staff would find coral sliced in 1/2 by it....

I have yet to see one of the species I am interested in, inside an aquarium...they have all been another species in the same family Eunicids so I dunno....:uhoh3:

You are not going to see him alot though. It will probably hide 99% of time and only come out to grab the food for a minute to feed.

You are not going to see him alot though. It will probably hide 99% of time and only come out to grab the food for a minute to feed.

RC has been pretty slow recently. Avoid hitting the "Submit" button multiple times. :)

G'day "dzhuo"

First off I am very aware that 99.9% of the time I wouldn't get to see it, so that isn't a problem for me =)

Secondly I didn't hit the "submit reply" multiple times just the once then the screen took agessssss(s) to load and then after it did load there was a double post ...-_-... as I said before.....NNNGGGGGHHHH!!!:blown:

Lastly and I am not sure if its because of my time zone being an australian...but more often at around 9pm my time at home when I am on here the site will go down to be worked on, so I am use to it now :D

Well, good luck keeping an invisible worm.

I don't think luck has much to do with it considering the ease to care for and hardiness of the creatures, the luck is more about finding the exact species I seek...

You don't need anything special to grow Eunicethe. They are omnivore and will eat just about anything and can grow up to 1 metre in length. If you like to keep them, you should set up a dedicated tank or provide lots of food (as it grows) to avoid having it eat coral, fish, crabs, shrimps, etc (and it will eat them if there isn't enough food). I would't consider Eunicethe reef safe.

For further information, here is a link for you: The Large Worm Turns"¦

GREAT read thanks for the link!:lol2:

I am starting to realize that it may not really be possible to accomodate for the specific species I seek (Eunice aphroditois)....they can grow up to 30-50feet LONG! over 1 inch thick!!! (thats just the body) the jaws would be twice that so maybe more around 2-3inch jaw width!! that's a seriously big worm and nasty sounding worm!

Contraction back into a burrow has been clocked in excess of 20 feet per second!!!

Cheers for the Link :spin1:

Back