bought generator, ohio edisons "mistake"

I hate the monopoly of cable, gas, and electric. When they mess up the just say sorry for the mistakes. So the power co. takes the money out of my account three weeks ago. They also claim they left multiple messages, but cut the power without notice. They said sorry about mistake I didn't get logged properly. Although they can work on power lines 24hrs they assured me no one could turn power on until this morning. So I bought a generator, at least I have piece of mind for future. We have no recourse. Had time warner yell me to "deal withx" cable being out because of upgrades in akron. They never give you money back. Uuggghh. Side note put blankets over tank and it only dropped 2 degrees in seven hours.

Champion, fit the budget on the fly. 3000 running watts. Guy said it was popular with rv people. My coworker has a natural gas generator that kicks on within 30sec and runs most of her house. 3k installed.

IMAG0111.jpg

My natural gas generator sounds like a chain saw when it is running. It's an unmistakable sound, however it is a welcome one when there is a power outage. The unit also tests itself for about 5 min each week.

Your fellow campers won't like you . Says 67db, but sounds ike a lawnmower. i turned it off at 11pm for fear of neighbors taking a sledge hammer to it

Champion makes a decent generator. I have the 3500 running/4000 surge and it is 62dba. Champion motors are modeled off Honda motors so they are quieter than others with the exception of Honda. Have the generator Just for the tank but a whole house generator is in the very near future.

I own a Generac whole house generator that turns on automatically when the power goes off. I've had it for seven years now - can't imagine I'll own a house without one ever again.

How does a whole house generator work?

In so Cal we don't normally get power failures because of storms, we get brown outs because everyone is running an ac and the power companies can't keep up. I have several tanks that I'd like to keep running in the even of a failure but don't know how I'd do it unless I ran power cords to and from the generator.

I have this one for sale , i will make some one a HECK of a deal !!!

Murph

Attachments

• honda gen.jpg
    honda gen.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
Just a note on champion gennys and any others from china.......there is little to no service or support. There's a couple ways to set up a whole house genny, but most are 3 to 5 KWs and only power a few needed circuts. Others are larger whole house units that have auto transfer switches between the box and meter. Your power goes out the switch trips, starts the genny waits 15 or so seconds for the unit to come up to speed then hands power over to the unit. I haved 2 10,000 watt onans on a 3 way transfer switch. I'm out of power for around 10 seconds then the whole house comes back up. If one genny craps out it transfers to the next one. Best thing is they run off our natural gas well.

You can pick up good Onan for cheep and the older the better. Made in america with american parts by americans back when workmanship mattered. They run at 1800 rpms instead of 3600 and are
much quieter then most newer units. Weird the other hobbies this one can lead us into. In my case restoring 50 year old generators lmao.

I had the same issue a year ago where they cut my power without notice and for no reason. I called and they said their 24 hour emergency crew won't come and flip the switch... The customer service lady actually told me that they wouldn't even come turn it on if there was someone on life support in the house...its ridiculous. I was living in an apartment then and, luckily, there was an outlet in the hall for the staff to vacuum with. I plugged an extension cord into it and ran my fish tank, tv, router and laptop power chord with it :)

TRUE STORY HERE...

One day i get a knock on my door...there is a guy from the electric company standing there and he says im here to shut your power off, you owe a bill. I was floored i thought damn did i forget to pay the bill this month? i was going crazy to fighure out why. The guy looks at me and puts his head down and says i REALLY dont want to be here to do this, he say i owe $.01! YES!!!!!! ONE FREAKING CENT!!!!!!! i told the guy really? he said yeah, im going to get back in the truck and give you the penny! He said he felt soooo stupid for being there but it was his job and he was sorry. I told him no big deal but i would write a check for the ONE CENT! So i did just that! I wrote a ONE CENT check to the electric company! They sent a guy making $22/hour to collect ONE CENT!! I kept him there for about 45 mins as it took me a bit to find the check book and stuff...and the kicker in all this? my bank charged them $.50 to cash a check under $1.00! SOOOOO it actually cost the electric company about $20 for them to collect the ONE FREAKING CENT from me! What happened was i pay my bills on line from my bank and i accidently hit an 8 instead of a 9 for the last change digit...

Funny but true! At least you guys got some notice!

Dreaming

Dreaming

I keep trying to figure out a way to get this 250 KW machine through the wall and in my back yard. It was decommissioned and replaced with a 500 KW a few years ago and it has been sitting ever since. My neighbors would love me if this beast fired up once a week.

2011-04-20_14-35-44_300.jpg

MACK DADDY THERE !!! would have to build a nice wood shed for that , with sound proofing that is .........

Back