brace mod???

Egres

hi
i have a 54 gal tank with a center brace and was wondering if i could put a piece of plexiglass to replace the brace that way i could put one MH in the middle ???

anybody have tried something like this before !!!

how heavy would it need to be its a 54 gal 36x18x20 tall

im actualy doing some steel work at college right now!!

It won't need to be able to withstand more than a probably a hundred pounds of tension. That's what steel does best! It could be really small. Perhaps 1/4" at the most. You do need to fix it to brackets on the ends that will distribute the forces to the tank sides. Small angle iron? You will need to protect it well from salt water. Paint or stainless.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12292940#post12292940 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kcress
It won't need to be able to withstand more than a probably a hundred pounds of tension. That's what steel does best! It could be really small. Perhaps 1/4" at the most. You do need to fix it to brackets on the ends that will distribute the forces to the tank sides. Small angle iron? You will need to protect it well from salt water. Paint or stainless.

Stainless will also rust. I had my center brace crack on my 180. I went to the manufacture and they gave me some primer, silicone and a piece of black plastic. A simple pipe clamp and it was installed in minutes. After talking to the manufacturer, we both believe that grade of plastic they buy is a lower grade without UV protection. I am about to paint the plastic with a UV protectant seal.

I use 4 on a 25" tall tank with no problems at all with things on the bottom getting light (although my clam and SPS are up higher). You should be fine with 4 or 5 at only 20". :)

Brandon

EDIT: Do make sure that you get individual reflectors and get the bulbs as close to the water as you can. This will help the light penetrate the surface of the water and get the most out of your lights. :)

or maybe i should go with 2 175W MH and 2 39W T5HO ...hummm

can i have some anemone with only the T5HO ???

They can definitely support anemones. :) Can't say that I have on just yet (getting one soon), but with individual reflectors, they can easily support anything MH can.

Brandon

yes you can do it with lexan, 1/4" minimum, and attach it with nylon bolts.

Done it on a few 65g's now to run a 250w. One is going a year now with no problem.

If it ever does start to bow or yellow or anything, its not that hard or expensive to replace it...

IMO gow with either 2 MH's or a 4 bulb T5HO retro either tek or icecap. I wouldn't chance removing the center brace. and yes lexan will start to fail also due to the heat and such

Back