Bracing A Shallow Reef Question

davidgnome

Hello,

I am attempting to build a 48" x 36" x 18" 3/8" thick shallow reef. I live on the island of Guam and tanks are way overpriced, so DIY is my only viable option. My question is; How much bracing do I need, if any at all? Once I start adding bracing the cost goes up from about 400$ for the tank glass to be cut, to 600$...SO anyone who knows about safety factors and bracing please would you offer your expertise. I would prefer Euro bracing, but I'm not sure if the bottom and top need braced, front/back, and side?...Width of glass. Would One center brace be better (cough ugly on a deep dimension tank)...

Thanks!

This is how you should brace your tank. What thickness glass will you be using? 1/2 would be your best bet but the bracing does not have to be half inch could be 3/8. I would do the bracing 3 inches wide and the front and rear will be going the whole distance and the sides butting inside
d1a7198a10a4d749c22f1a058228eec6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Awesome! That is what I was thinking as well. No need to brace the bottom?

Also, do you know if my side panels and front/back panels of glass are sitting around my bottom panel do I build the stand with a plywood top/styrofoam pading? I'm unclear on if padding and plywood are needed for tanks that don't have a bottom rim, or tanks that don't place all the viewing glass panels ONTOP of the bottom panel. Hope that makes sense.

To be clear, my tanks bottom will be "floating" to some degree in the middle of all of my other glass panels. It will still make contact with the top surface of a stand if I build it with a top surface.

I would put the tank on some foam pad nothing too thick maybe 1/4 thick foam pad neoprene . On the inside what alot of high end tank manufacturers are doing is adding a piece of abs plastic inside. You can have it cut to the inner area of the tank and silicon it in place. It will add extra bracing inside.

Awesome! That is what I was thinking as well. No need to brace the bottom?

Also, do you know if my side panels and front/back panels of glass are sitting around my bottom panel do I build the stand with a plywood top/styrofoam pading? I'm unclear on if padding and plywood are needed for tanks that don't have a bottom rim, or tanks that don't place all the viewing glass panels ONTOP of the bottom panel. Hope that makes sense.

To be clear, my tanks bottom will be "floating" to some degree in the middle of all of my other glass panels. It will still make contact with the top surface of a stand if I build it with a top surface.
What do you mean by floating

So I just got home and found 6 panels of glass that are 1/4". Could I change my tank demensions to 36"x 35" x 16 or 18" high if I eurobrace bottom of tank and top? I would save a ton of money since the 1/4" glass is free. Thanks for the help

Floating meaning the main point of contact between the tank and stand is the sides/front and back glass...because the base glass is sealed inside of those panels.

So I just got home and found 6 panels of glass that are 1/4". Could I change my tank demensions to 36"x 35" x 16 or 18" high if I eurobrace bottom of tank and top? I would save a ton of money since the 1/4" glass is free. Thanks for the help

Well yes and mostly no.. You would need a lot of bracing..
glass calc as orig stated dimensions.
glass2.JPG

Keep in mind only calculations.. YMMV..

Lets say your 1/4 is 6mm
3/8" is 9mm (all rounded down)

BTW calcs w/out bracing..
If you didn't float the bottom your thickness I believe is different.

6mm glass un-braced is 2.1 and 1.2

Can't see a way to use 1/4 for the bottom though..
Eurobracing in 1/3rds (ofr 1/2 is possible) is prob good enough for 1/4" glass except the bottom..
I know some have stacked glass for thickness but ????.

Last edited:
Well yes and mostly no.. You would need a lot of bracing..
glass calc as orig stated dimensions.
glass2.JPG

Keep in mind only calculations.. YMMV..

Lets say your 1/4 is 6mm
3/8" is 9mm (all rounded down)

BTW calcs w/out bracing..
If you didn't float the bottom your thickness I believe is different.

Thanks. What about my other posts glass options? I bought 4 panels of 1/2" thick tempered glass for 30$ yesterday. The few corners have slight chips but seem fine. Could I use these for front/back and sides or does them being tempered or chipped make them no good? Sizes are 41" x 19.25" so my tank would be a 41" cube. I would buy the bottom from a glass shop and euro brace the top. The safety factor is really high (7.3ish) based on glass thickness and the shallowness. This does not take into consideration the other realities as mentioned above , tempered, chipped, and euro bracing. Thanks

Back