Brain coral frag question

tylr9m482

Hi all,

I recently purchased a very nicely colored brain coral frag from my LFS however the owner of the store put the coral on a square tile if you will which he treated and used as a plug. Apparently he has been doing this for some time with much success. However it does not look natural and I would much rather attach it to some of my live rock, and tips on how to do this the safest way for the coral? I have frag glue and underwater epoxy at home but I am new to the hobby and have never fragged anything before. Not sure if I need special tools or if i can just peel it off with a razor blade.

Any tips or comments would be helpful.

Thanks!

Just realized it would probably help if I mentioned what type of brain it is, it's Platygyra brain coral, also known as maze coral, bowl coral, or worm brain coral.

Thanks again

Last edited:
First I suggest you take some time acclimating the frag & determining what location suits it best. Depending on your lights the best final location probably will be mid tank. Place the coral low & move it later to the location you want. Wait for a little while & make sure if is thriving in this location. It may not like being directly in front of a power head. Mounting it too early risks forcing you to move it later, which could stress and damage it.

Once you have found the right location, I would take a knife or razor blade in a painter's scraper, wiggle it under the skeleton & pop it off the tile with a turn of the wrist. Then glue it down, preferably in a hole or indentation on the rock, which makes it easier for it to encrust the rock.

You can usually get between the superglue and the frag plug and pop it off as Reef Frog said. It can be a bit scary the first couple of times and heart rate increases with the price of said frag.

I tend to attach mine to a small piece of dry rock and then move it around in the tank like Reef Frog suggested until I find a spot the coral likes. Then attach it to my live rock with water weld and super glue.

Anita - I still suffer from "frag anxiety" and "frag mount procrastination disorder" after 3 years. I'm going to see if my insurance plan will cover it but waiting for the smoke to clear first.

Seriously, be careful with the blades & don't cut yourself as these things tend to be slippery.

Thanks guys for the advice right now it is on a lower level rock in the tank seems to be doing well right now gonna wait a little longer until i attemp this tho lol

Back