Brain maze coral behavior

mssamurai

Hi all!! This is my first post on here. I need some help figuring out the behavior of a brain maze coral (platygyra). I have had this coral for a few weeks now. I've never seen feeder tentacles at night. I have it placed on the sand. Ocean revive led lighting. I'm not exactly sure what it's suppose to look like. Lol. Do they take awhile to adjust to new tanks? Anybody with pics of this coral open would be great!! Oh and there are no fish in this tank currently.
Water parameters:
PH 8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0.25
Calcium 420
Dkh 11

Welcome to RC!

I have two in my tank, mounted in locations with fairly subdued lighting.

I can't recall ever seeing them with long defensive tentacles out. But that doesn't mean they don't have them - they probably do. Both have plenty of space so perhaps they don't sense a need to put them out. That's just a guess however.

I have seen them "get fuzzy", extending very short feeding tentacles at night with lights out when I'm feeding scolys & plates. It's easy to miss if you're not looking closely. Like other corals they can sense when food is in the water. Sometimes I'll squirt a little cyclopseeze or oyster eggs on them and I can see a feeding response. They seem to do just fine without target feeding though.

Yours may be just settling in. Mine definitely objects to light that is too intense (T5 here) so I'd keep an eye on how it does under LEDs.

We have one under reef breeder photon LED lighting at about 24" deep. It doesn't "open" per se but does get long sweepers (2-3") but only occasionally. It has been a relatively slow grower - probably doubling in size in the past 1.5 years. I have always loved this coral.

Back