Brass Gate Valve

mtp

Any concerns using a brass gate valve instead of a PVC ball valve to control water flow from a pump in my sump?

gate valves are not designed for flow control, you want a globe or trash waste valve for flow control, or a metering ball valve.
Bob

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11770423#post11770423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rbursek
gate valves are not designed for flow control, you want a globe or trash waste valve for flow control, or a metering ball valve.
Bob

I agree with you Bob, at least a little.

In reality if you are looking at FINE control it is pretty hard to do with a sticky ball valve. It's hard to twist it just a monkey hair and you tend to overshoot. A Gate valve allows for finer adjustment with the turning of a hand wheel, thus making adjustments easier.

In the pressures that we are dealing with in our tanks a gate valve is really better for control. Higher pressures it's a different matter.

JMO.

Cuby2k,
I agree with you about those sticky ball valves, the globe vv has a stem and handle that turn, but its internal design gives you better flow control, when a gate vv is 10% open you are already getting about 90% flow thru it,

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11769718#post11769718 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
Bad idea. You don't want and brass or copper near your aquarium.

what if the brass valve is used just for R/O?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11771381#post11771381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HellboundX
what if the brass valve is used just for R/O?

I use brass before my RO/DI, but not after. If used after the filter the very pure water may be more prone to absorbing copper from the fitting (not sure on this), and there's no further filtration to remove it.

I never really thought of that. I have had a brass valve on my auto topoff for my sump for about 2 years. I havent noticed any problems, but maybe I need to change something out.

RO water is semi agressive and RO/DI is extremely agressive around metals. Anything short of titanium is not advised, not even most stainless.

PVC is fine.

Brass is made out of copper and will release copper into your aquarium if it is in contact with saltwater. With RO/DI, it will also leach copper. It does not take very much to slowly increase the copper levels in your aquarium to toxic levels.

Kim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11773638#post11773638 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kgross
PVC is fine.

Brass is made out of copper and will release copper into your aquarium if it is in contact with saltwater. With RO/DI, it will also leach copper. It does not take very much to slowly increase the copper levels in your aquarium to toxic levels.

Kim

Well, I guess I will be switching out my float switch in the morning....if I can find a replacement.

Back