Breeding Trochus Snails **PICS**

When mine spawn, it always seems to correspond to my putting my hand in the tank. Don't know if there is some chemical in the soap I use that triggers it or something.

About 4 months old now. Most are 1/4" roughly. Vortech for size comparison. I'd guess roughly 30-50 from the single spawn I can see/count.

03.27.2009-1.jpg

This is a cool thread, cham....

I have a banded trochus that out-eats 3 astreas at any given time. I bought him first for my 10g nano, and he cleared off one wall of my 10g pretty quickly. I went later the next week to get another one and all they LFS had was tiny astreas, so I picked up a few of them.... they are good but nothing like a banded trochus.

i had a limpet that breeded once, we went on vacation and came home to find probably 200 little things all over everything. it was pretty cool

I trimmed my cheato today and had about a 5g bucket worth. I decided to go throught the cheato and see what I was tossing.

I'm glad I did. There must have been half a dozen of them that I was able to see. Some were smaller than I could ever get a camera to focus on. I threw them all in my frag tank but I'll have to start selling/giving them away soon.

There were hundreds of stomatells snails, no way I could save them all. I grabbed most of the largest ones.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14676007#post14676007 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marsfrogie
I have had similar results. I had a significant number grow to adulthood. It's always great to get things "out" of your tank instead of always putting things "in".

Check out this video:

What are those green plant like stems right by the spawning? I saw i have one of them growing in my tank.

I have seen a couple big trochus snails and some babies in my tank. I never bought any of them. yesterday i saw a big one under the sand against the glass. I have 2 babies that always seem to follow eachother, its quite funny :)

I found a trochus snail baby in a refugium. Def. a baby, def. a trouchus. About half the size of a dime. I not have what I think is Collinsta in my nano.

During a 9 week fallow period due to careless fish quarantine, 10 Trochus snails produced over 300 baby snails. The MP40s, gate valve and filter sock all had issues with snail clogging. I ended up removing as many snails as possible during weekly water changes. I now have a Mystery Wrasse that keeps the population in check.

so how long is gestation?

Haven't timed it, but I would say 3-4 days, and they always deposit the eggs on the glass for some reason. I literally have hundreds of these little fellas in my system, and I spend about 30 mins each morning pulling loads out. They are still on the glass while the lights are off, but seem to retire to the rockwork when the lights come on. Like someone else mentioned, they are cute an all, but they cause havock with pumps.

I have 80 plus babies from at least two different hatches. Saw them first in the sump, now I see them in the DT. Some are larger than these (about 4 mm) possibly from a third spawning.

Baby%20trochus1_zpsbaarxadb.jpg

I have astrea snails breeding in my tank. Pretty surprising considering their eggs a pelagic and have very low hatch rate and larval survival in aquariums. But I have couple of babies with spiny shells :)

Banded Trochus are my favorite snails as well. The are big enough to make a noticeable impact on algae but small enough to not plow your frags like Turbos. We were lucky enough to have ours start spawning about 6 months ago and we now have dozens in various sizes in our sump and display. My kids call them "Babies", "Teenagers" and "Adults". They love searching for the babies.

I have a slightly strange snail babies thing going on. I only have 3 turbo snails & recently noticed little bumps on their shells, which I thought were barnacles or other filter feeders. Then later I thought I saw the bumps moving. On closer inspection one night I realized they were baby snails in various different stages of growth, all hitchhiking/living on the shell of the parent. Looked a bit freaky with all the various squishy moving parts working away. The strangest thing was the largest baby (still very small compared to parent) had what looked like an egg sac under its shell.

Attachments

• IMG_8990.jpg
    IMG_8990.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9008.jpg
    IMG_9008.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0
Back