brightwell aquatics - reef biofuel

trggerman

i got 2 different dosing instructions for BA reefbiofuel --

neozeo method (pdf) specifies that reef biofuel be at 1ml per 100g
bottle instruction specifies that reef biofuel be at 5ml per 100g (low nutrient)

which is the correct dosing as there is a BIG discrepancy between the 2.

Thanks.

I was going to go the full deal with the neo zeo system. In the end I backed out. I am only dosing 1 drop of MB7 in my 29 Bio Cube every other day. I have'nt had any algae (export wise) in my tank for a month now. I am batteling red bubble right now. My phosphates and nitrates are still undetectable. I use an API test kit. Basically I am happy if they are under 5 so the kit is close enough for me. I don't get any thing close to the color of the 5-10 ppm reading. My phosphates are the same way, there is barely any color change almost clear.

The red bubble algae grows very slowly. Since the MB7 dosing, it has now started to turn white in color. I hope it is starving out.

For your question,
I have noticed that the instructions on my MB7, there is a weekly and a daily dose. Maybe that is the difference?

I am not sure where your levels are at in your system, or how big your tank is. Here is a clipping from the neo zeo pdf that you mentioned. Like I said I am just dosing MB7. I must not feed heavy enough to need the carbon source. If I do run into a "wall" so to speak, I will place a drop of vodka in the tank instead of paying for the Bio Fuel.

MicrōBacter7 is a selective complex of microbes and enzymes specifically formulated
to rapidly reduce the concentrations of organic nitrogen, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate,
phosphate, and organic carbon. Used alone, the microbes and active ingredients in
MicrōBacter7 will begin decreasing the concentrations of the aforementioned
substances until such time as one of them becomes limiting to the uptake of the
others. It is here that the discussion turns to carbon limitation and the implications
this has with regards to the ability of microbes to assimilate phosphorus and nitrogen.
Covering this topic requires elementary thinking and relies on the ratios of nutrient
uptake in bacteria being somewhat analogous to that of marine phytoplankton.
Using the molar ratios of 106:16:1 C:N:p (carbon : nitrogen : phosphorus) in marine
phytoplankton as a model for nutrient uptake in bacteria, it follows that bacteria
require considerable carbon to assimilate nitrogen and (particularly) phosphorus. In a
system with low- to immeasurable-concentrations of nitrate and phosphate, there is
presumably sufficient organic C present to enable bacteria to utilize the N and P that is
available; resultantly, bacterial biomass is regulated by the relative abundance of N
and P. Conversely, in a system with relatively high concentrations of nitrate or
phosphate (e.g. one that tends to be heavily-fed), their uptake by bacteria will be
inhibited by inadequate organic C. The solution is to supplement the system with
organic C, which enables assimilation of the existing N and P into bacterial biomass.
As previously described, the bacteria, and hence the N and P, are then removed from
the system via filtration and/or converted into biomass of suspension-feeding
organisms capturing bacterioplankton and pieces of biofilm that become dislodged
from static surfaces. Addition of Reef BioFuel alleviates the N- and P-uptake limitations
of the system and ultimately leads to lower concentrations of nitrate and phosphate in
the system. Reef BioFuel does not pollute the system when properly administered
(which will necessarily be different for each individual aquarium system); regular
addition encourages more rapid assimilation of phosphate into microbial biomass.

Also, the only thing I was able to find on dosing the Bio Fuel was this. This was not in the Neo Zeo pdf. This is from the Bio Fuel pdf. I didn't see any dosing rates in the Neo Zeo pdf. Maybe I over looked them.

Medium- to High-nutrient Systems: Add 5 ml (1 capful) per 50 US-gallons (189.3 L) [≈2 drops per gallon
(3.8 L)] of aquarium water daily. Monitor concentrations of phosphate and nitrate with accurate test kits;
phosphate and nitrate should eventually become immeasurable (or nearly so) when a balance is reached
between the rates of nutrient-input and nutrient-assimilation. Thereafter, switch to “low-nutrient” dosage
(below).
Low-nutrient Systems: Add 5 ml (1 capful) per 100 US-gallons (378.5 L) [≈1 drop per gallon (3.8 L)] of
aquarium water daily. With time, hobbyists may determine that decreasing the dosage and/or dosing
frequency by up to 50% sufficiently maintains a low-nutrient environment. During changes in biological
filtration or when increasing the aquarium bioload, dose 1 drop per 50 US-gallons daily for one week, then
resume “low-nutrient” dosage.

Found it. It states to refer to the bottles for the recomended doses after the 5th week of setting up your neo zeo media. So the difference is because of the fact that you are establishing the media. You will also be playing with flow rates.

Once the first 5 weeks of usage has passed, adjust the dosage of MicrōBacter7 and Reef
BioFuel according to the appearance of the system, the inhabitants, and as dictated by
the water parameters.
Refer to the instructions on each of the afore-mentioned
supplements’ labels for additional information.

Last edited:
I have a question about dosing:
Add 5 ml (1 capful) per 50 US-gallons (189.3 L) [≈2 drops per gallon
(3.8 L)] of aquarium water daily.

so this is either 2 ml per 20 US-gal OR 40 drops. Correct? Problem is 40 drops do not make 2 ml and as far as I remember the difference was really big. Any thoughts?

EDIT: 16 drops appears to equal to 2 ml

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm not sure what to say. I'd probably try the smaller dose and work from there. The Bio-Fuel is a carbon source, so each tank requires some tuning, anyway.

Well, because 2 ml seems to equal to 16 drops and 40 drops seems to be 4 ml, I dose 3 ml which is in between. My Nitrates still read ~20 so maybe 2 ml wasn't enough. This is probably because I feed heavily multiple times a day. PO4 started to go down from 0.06 to 0.03 which is nice...

Bought MicroBacter7 and same issue with drops/ml so emailed support ;-)
Next day after I used the combination of BioFuel+MicroBacter7 my Phosphates read 0.00 with Hanna test kit :-D

Back