brine shrimp, come from only salt lake

ludiNano

I'm becoming...Brundlefly
i just had someone tell me that brine shrimp only came from the great salt lake, in utah.

Is that true, just soundes wrong.

Never heard that. I'm in Park City now and wil be going to SLC in the morn. I should scoop some out. Who wants some? A buck a pound. Fresh from the nastiest water in the state. I will be hatching my own soon. Lots of people do.

I've heard similarly, and that for the past year or two it has been really tough to get more brine shrimp eggs for some reason.

You might contact BrineShrimpDirect.com to see if they can answer your question.

Re: brine shrimp, come from only salt lake

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12977936#post12977936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ludiNano
i just had someone tell me that brine shrimp only came from the great salt lake, in utah.

Is that true, just soundes wrong.

There is an article in this month's Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium magazine about a guy who catched them in some lake in Oregon. It discusses the few places that brine shrimp are caught and explains how to hatch your own sea monkeys.

yea, the guy lives in utah. he said harvesting from salt lake is only allowed during one month of the year.( out of that lake).
I just thought it was interesting.

thank you Melv. i don't need any my self.

The guy i talked to said there the only thing that lives in salt lake.

He said there's a little food chain cycle,

Brine shrimp die.
The brine flies there eat the dead shrimp.
And these spiders ( the size of the bottom of a pop can come out at night and blanket around the whole lake and eat the flies.

He said the whole rim of the lake looks like its moving. Nasty!!!

Back