brine shrimp

holycow

i have a small tank right now with only 3 fish in it. i went to the pet store and the guy gave me a whole bag of live brine shrimp in it for free, so i dumped half into my salt and the other half into my fresh tank. well..... only one tiny little shrimp did not become a meal... and Ive been watching it grow... at first it was all spiny looking and now it is see through and looks weird... i was just wondering what it will turn into... if anything special... or if it will hurt anything in the tank... i Googled it and all i got was its a sea-monkey... this may sound like a stupid question, but i know pretty much nothing about saltwater or its inhabitants.

Also, that is what sea-monkey's are. the little packet of stuff you get that says water treatment is actually marine salt. Brine shrimp don't hurt anything. They are a food source for alot of fish.

Brine Shrimp are pretty resilient little buggers. They won't last past 4 hours in a pure freshwater environment; so raising them to adulthood requires a simple saltwater set up. I've been pretty successful raising many to adulthood in a 5 gallon bucket, along with a small desk lamp, 50watt heater, and and air pump with tubing minus the air stone. I've been feeding them with re-hydrated Spirulina power every other day. It's also good to do water changes to diminish waste build up. Good Luck!

I know you probably did, but just in case - they should always be rinsed before going in the tank.

my freshwater fish ate them to quick for any to survive.... and only one lived in the saltwater tank. and i did not know i had to rinse them first... how exactly do i do that?

To keep the water they came in out of your tank - who knows what's in there. And also to keep out excess nutrients that won't be consumed. :)

Back