Bristletooth Tomini Tang

tprize

I just acquired a Bristletooth Tomini Tang, after several suggestions from the kind staff at premium aquatics. I LOVE HIM! I was really skeptical because I only have a 75G and I am very against putting fish into to small a tank, but from what I was told by several sources he is a very happy fish in this size of a tank. I see a lot of others put yellow tangs into 75's and I can't see why??? When you have the choice of this gorgeous fun loving tang in! But enough about my praise, I am a bit concerned I have not seen him really eating. I offer him flake as well as meaty food, and he has fresh algae on a veggie clip. He picks at my rock a lot so I'm not sure if he is getting food off of it or if he just likes to pick at stuff. Thanks anyone who can let me know if I should be concerned about his eating habits.

I just added one to my 360. He is very shy. I think Tominis are very shy fish in general because the ones that I have seen were also very skittish. Always run when approached no matter how healthy and/or adjusted the fish. The first few days mine will eat only when I leave the room. It's been a week now and he is slowly starting to eat in front of me but will run if I come to close. He tries to eat the nori but the personifer angel would not share it with him. He will eat everything else that I feed the other fish off the water column. He picks on the rocks a little. He is getting bolder by the day but still spend most of his time in the shadows.

Yeah they are great fish. I added one to my tank a few months ago. Wouldn't worry about the eating just yet, mine only grazed on rocks and the glass the first week or so. Now he eats everything I put in the tank.

They're a great fish, and underated IMO. The bristletooth family are the best grazers IMO, constantly picking at rocks and keeping your reef clean (my kind of fish :D), and the Tominis are the best looking in the bunch :thumbsup:

I wouldn't be concerned about his eating habits yet, just keep trying with different foods. Eventually he'll take something and realize its food, then the feast is on (hopefully). If he doesn't eat for a couple weeks then its time to get a bit concerned, unless of course theres enough algae and such for him to graze on in your tank, and he has a fat belly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13872213#post13872213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jusn317
Yeah they are great fish. I added one to my tank a few months ago. Wouldn't worry about the eating just yet, mine only grazed on rocks and the glass the first week or so. Now he eats everything I put in the tank.
My experience was the same. Great fish. We call her Wanda.

I've had a tomini tang for about 5-6 months now.. still fairly skittish, but picks at the rocks all day long. gets along well with my purple tang.

From day one the bristletooth didn't eat.. the only thing it does is graze on the rocks/glass and eat all the other fishes crap.. 5 months later, it's about 3/4'' thick+ and eats mysis now and then..

the only thing I hate about this fish is that he seems like he has something out for my pair of diamond gobys.. he can't stand them being in plain sight so he has to chase them base into the sand..

I've had mine over two years now, and he STILL hides somewhat when I try to get good pics of him :rolleyes: He started as a paper thin 2" and is now about 5". He is a very calm tang. I've kept zebrasoma and currently also have a powder blue, and the tomini is nothing like them. A casual swimmer/grazer, I think, describes him best.

But a great fish overall, and I love him! He is covered (at least mine is) in tiny orange spots and lines....so not really just plain brown, as I first thought....but it's nearly impossible to get a pic that shows this. He resides in my 115g 4' tank.

Tominitangheadon.jpg

Yes, they have a real nice speckled look all over them. I too thought they were all brown but I saw one at my LFS's reef tank that has orange spots as well. Very pretty. Mine has spots, too, but not very obvious yet. Like most fish, the more they feel at home the more vibrant the colors so I think given time the spots will come.

Great looking fish. I've seen a few of them locally and would like to add one to my 120. Waiting for another nice one to show up.

I got a Tomini a few weeks ago and he has been great. He was shy for the first day or two but not he is always out and about grazing. He swims right up to the top of the tank when I am there to feed. I got lucky as my LFS had them on sale for ~$35, hard to resist at that price.

favorite fish in my tank. he's like the big brother fish in my tank, i have a cb angel who is a she devil and picks on all the other fish, or at least used to, i put the tomini in the tank and now she acts like a model citizen. she used to go after my other dwarf angel and tomato clown but if the tomini is nearby she wont go near them. who says fish cant have personalities?

I just picked up mine from the lfs yesterday morning. I fed my homemade frozen mix last night, and again this morning and it ate it the first time it was offered, and ate flake tonight. Mine seems a little shy, but certainly not afraid of movement outside the tank.
I got it from a trusted lfs who held it for a week for me. Its about 4in nose to tip of tail, and probably a half inch or more thick through the body.

I've had one for about a year that is not shy in any way shape or form, he's actually quite the little troublemaker, started chasing my leopard wrasse this morning after weeks of no problems.

These are fantastic fish, ive had mine for almost a year now and he is very happy in my new 90g reef. He has cleaned up an unreal about amount diatoms leftover from the cycle.

He has gotten more mature is suppose and one of his tang spines have popped out!

I saw a very nice one at the LFS the other day. Almost bought him, but I'm a bit worried about putting him in with my other tangs (yellow, purple, powder brown and blue hippo). Those guys all get along great, but I'm not sure they would be interested in another one...

jds

I know these are one of the best grazers - anyone have theirs eat caluerpa (feather caluerpa) - I have some that snuck into a tank of mine on a frag and its really taken over.

Thanks

-Kyle

Back