Brittle star Killed/died?

mario_07963

This is how I found my brittle star today. Was it attack?

I tried to remove it but it's still attach to the rock and moving.

IMG_1321.jpg

damn, I've heard of things going after the legs but never the center piece, what else you got in there?

It was a hard decision but I removed it from the tank. It was either taking a chance for it to survive or contaminating the whole tank. It's amazing how bad it looked but it was still fighting attaching to the rock. I hope I took the right decision. I have to post more pics later on. It shows in what bad condition the star looked.

Bummer! They can grow those legs back! I would have kept him in a fuge for a few days and kept a close check on him. Unles you have a pretty small system the nitrate contribution wouldn't hae been significant (especially over the short term).

Phyl, the legs were okay. It was mostly the center part/head. When I took it out it was wide open, the legs were attach by a thin piece of it.

All I could see in the center was a white disk, I will think the mouth. Amazinly it was still moving and strongly attaching it self to the rock! I wish I took more pics but it was late and I was worry about the tank....I have a 55G, not sump. so there's my problem. I felt bad, but I think it was not going to make it.

ah yeah you should think about getting a small 15 or 10 gallon QT so that way if you've got something sick or injured you can throw it in there and give it a fighting chance.

Although when I've got a fish that misbehaves I catch it and throw it in a specimen container for a few hours so he can think about what he's done. (not sure if it's a good idea or not) It seems to work and they stop picking on other fish. Can't really do that with an eel though.

QT would have been a good choice. If it was split in the oral disc, you would have ended up with 2 starfish. That's probably why it was still firmly attached. It was hurt but quite capable of regenerating into two whole animals.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9863906#post9863906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanoreef16g
QT would have been a good choice. If it was split in the oral disc, you would have ended up with 2 starfish. That's probably why it was still firmly attached. It was hurt but quite capable of regenerating into two whole animals.

I wish I had received this advices yesterday! :confused: I truely felt bad when I was removing it from the tank! it was like it didn't want to be taken out. I did a lot of research before taken it out and there's lots of advices to take it out of the tank to avoid contamination of the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9863991#post9863991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mario_07963
I wish I had received this advices yesterday! :confused: I truely felt bad when I was removing it from the tank! it was like it didn't want to be taken out. I did a lot of research before taken it out and there's lots of advices to take it out of the tank to avoid contamination of the tank.

Sorry about the loss man. I actually read an article that stated you could cut them in half down the middle and end up with 2 healthy animals. Good read. I was actually looking for it to link it to you but I couldn't find it.

mario_07963, that stinks. I have one that must be the exact same species. It is in a tank I really haven't took great care of and it's center disc looks a bit off, but doesn't look that bad. Did you try posting about this in any other forums?

Nano if you come across that article let me know. Talking reef did a special on these star fish a while ago, some good info.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9866304#post9866304 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gordonious
mario_07963, that stinks. I have one that must be the exact same species. It is in a tank I really haven't took great care of and it's center disc looks a bit off, but doesn't look that bad. Did you try posting about this in any other forums?

Nano if you come across that article let me know. Talking reef did a special on these star fish a while ago, some good info.

Yes, I posted on other invertebrates, with no response that same night. So I removed it before I went to bed. I don't think I ever felt that bad by loosing one of my fish or other...I think it was the fact that it had a chance to survive and I didn't give it one.

So sorry about your loss. :( That had to have been heartbreaking for you. How long did you have him? (I hope that wasn't asked yet, and I missed it.)

---
Wendy

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9871357#post9871357 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JerseyWendy
So sorry about your loss. :( That had to have been heartbreaking for you. How long did you have him? (I hope that wasn't asked yet, and I missed it.)

---
Wendy

Wendy, I had it for two weeks only. That's why I was not well informed it could recover. I mean I did research before removing it but lots of articles/forums advise was too remove it.
It was hard taken it out, I just couldn't believe on the condition it looked, it was still fighting and strongly attached to the rock...:(

Back