Brown Algea

shabreeson

I have started a 20 gallon salt aquarium and it has been sitting for a few weeks now with the light on only when I am awake and now it is producing a brown algea that is covering my live rock including the good purple algea. does that mean I need a brighter light or will it go away with time?

Diatom bloom, just went through it with my new tank, about 5 weeks old. It will go away, just leave it, ugly though isnt it lol.
On algae issues, after my diatom bloom I have massive green algae that comes up, a lot of it and everyday its on the glass, keeps comming back, anyone know when this will go away while on the thread?

These algae blooms are completely normal as the tank breaks in. Keep your parameters in check and it will go away on its own.

yep, i third what the others said. Trust t5 lol. His tank did just go thru that, and so did mine a few months ago when i started it up. It goes away pretty quick, but if your tnak is cycled, i'd say get maybe a hundred cerith snails. They really really help with diatoms.

also in a new tank to much light isnt good need to keep on 3 to 4 hours a day and gradully bring up as to not have to much of a bloom and let tank get adjusted to light.

Back