Brown Algea

smalls383

I have recently has a outbreak of brown algea all over my LR. The tank has been cycling for about 7-8 weeks and there is currently nothing in it. Nitrates are just about to be ready for CUC.....

So my question is what is it and how do I get rid of the brown algea?

this is all part of the cycling process. different algaes will pop up and dissapear. the best way to get rid of brown algae is by utilizing snails and the like, and letting them eat it. Keep an eye on your nitrates and phosphates (key fertilizers for algae) and as long as they are as low as you can get them you should have no problems. Just remember, algae never grows for no reason. There is either nitrates or phosphates in your water, the lights are on too long, or natural sunlight is shining on your tank. That being said, algae grows on reefs everywhere in nature so don't fret.

Re: Brown Algea

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12227654#post12227654 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smalls383
I have recently has a outbreak of brown algea all over my LR. The tank has been cycling for about 7-8 weeks and there is currently nothing in it. Nitrates are just about to be ready for CUC.....

So my question is what is it and how do I get rid of the brown algea?

I am just getting over this myself and first and foremost is:

1. keep lights turn off.

2. medicate!

I do not know if there is a non medication solution but I think if there is one then the time for it to go away will take a very long time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12227702#post12227702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D to the P
this is all part of the cycling process. different algaes will pop up and dissapear. the best way to get rid of brown algae is by utilizing snails and the like, and letting them eat it. Keep an eye on your nitrates and phosphates (key fertilizers for algae) and as long as they are as low as you can get them you should have no problems. Just remember, algae never grows for no reason. There is either nitrates or phosphates in your water, the lights are on too long, or natural sunlight is shining on your tank. That being said, algae grows on reefs everywhere in nature so don't fret.

I would love to buy snails but I hear they can populate very fast.
I am tempted with aprehension! Grr lol!

Yes the reason why I have had my tank running for almost 8 weeks and have nothing in it is because I have been having trouble getting my nitrates down

I had nitrates that we about 80-100 for the longest time....did a 60% water change and got it to about 30-40....now I use a powerhead to blast my rocks and back of tank to get that junk in my water to be cleaned out by the filter sock

So as of Sunday I was down to about 20 for the nitrates.....I guess I have to keep going with the battle....until I get to zero (damn it hurry up!!!)

yes the algae will lower the nitrates (it's absorbing it hence its growth in the first place).

no, do not medicate. there is absolutely no reason to add a chemical to your tank when it there is a natural, safe method to removing unwanted algae. plus algacides remove DO from the water which there is already a lack of in salt water.

again, algae will grow. its supposed to. work on lowering your nitrates and the problem will cease. In order to do that you will need to use a clean water source (ro/di) and do 10% water changes weekly, and possibly use a media in your filter to help.

no, not all salt water snails are prolific. Infact only a few will actually take over your tank like the fresh water trumpet snails do. Get yourself a mexican turbo snail or two and watch the algae dissapear.

and no, do not leave your lights off. this solves nothing it is just a band aid. plus brown algae is nothing to worry about.

Pics...im at work...cant ge them....but I will try to get some up when I am home...

Looks exactly as it sounds....brown. Mind tends to grow on the top of the rocks where they can get the most light....However, it is only growing on my rocks....no glass of sand....yet hopefully it wont

no problem. and remember, nitrates are only toxic to sensitive invertebrates like corals and anemones and some starfish. If the rest of your parameters look good then I say its time to slowly add some fish. Though I commend you for wanting everything to be perfect before doing so.

Yeah it has been hard looking into an empty tank for the past 8 weeks...I have nad no signs of ammonia or nitrites for about 5 weeks....testing every 3 days

I was under the assumption that snails and other inverts such as hermit crabs cant handle nitrates....even levels of 20 where I am at....That is why I have been trying to get everything to 0....am I wrong...can I add some now at

pH- 8.2
ammonia - 0
nitirites - 0
nitrates - about 20

High nitrates can definately be bad for invertebrates, but 20 is not going to be too much for snails or hermit crabs. I'm not saying that you won't have ANY mortalities nor am I saying that if anything dies it's because of the nitrates. You'll be suprised at how resilient SOME salt water things can be haha (not an invitation for slacking on the job though). Good job keeping up with the testing, but I would go to your LFS or where ever you want to buy livestock and get yourself two or three mexican turbo snails. If you want hermit crabs then go for it, but make sure there is enough food for everyone, and that there are empty shells for the hermits to move into. Otherwise they will be pulling the snails out of their shells. Another snail that I would recommend is nassurus (or some spelling like that). They go through your sand bed and help oxygenate it. They do a great job of pouncing on any food or dead animals as soon as they hit the bottom (it's cool to watch them bulldoze out of the sand and horde a piece of food). You could stand to have a hand full of them in a 54, like 4 or 5. Now you don't have to add all of these at once. If you want to just add two mexican turbos and wait it out than do that. And they should be fine (I can never guarentee that something will live haha).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12227820#post12227820 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by D to the P
yes the algae will lower the nitrates (it's absorbing it hence its growth in the first place).

no, do not medicate. there is absolutely no reason to add a chemical to your tank when it there is a natural, safe method to removing unwanted algae. plus algacides remove DO from the water which there is already a lack of in salt water.

again, algae will grow. its supposed to. work on lowering your nitrates and the problem will cease. In order to do that you will need to use a clean water source (ro/di) and do 10% water changes weekly, and possibly use a media in your filter to help.

no, not all salt water snails are prolific. Infact only a few will actually take over your tank like the fresh water trumpet snails do. Get yourself a mexican turbo snail or two and watch the algae dissapear.

and no, do not leave your lights off. this solves nothing it is just a band aid. plus brown algae is nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the info!

Back