Brown layer on bed of tank?

Rich D

I seem to have a layer of brown layer of algae or debris on the bottom of my tank, It is a new tank with tons of problems that we cant seem to get started. Does anybody know what this might be or how to get rid of it?

probably cyanobacteria caused by organic pollutants like phosphates or nitrogenous wastes. when my phosphates go up, i get the same thing (above 0.2ppm). keep it under 0.15ppm and you'll see no cyano, no flatworms, no hair algae. just keep a good maintenance schedule and try to remove as many organics as possible. I recommend Rowaphos for phosphate and silicate removal and activated charcoal for just about everything else. good luck!

It could be diatoms, Dinoflagelletes, or cyano. I'd need a pic to ID it 100 percent, but a good enough description would work too. If it's slimy it's cyano, unless it's also stringy and has bubbles then it would be dino's.

If it's a brown/gold color it's likely diatoms. Especially if it's on your sand.

Yes indeed, and also very common with new establishing tanks. Nothing to worry about if this is the one you've got. It will go away on it's own with proper tank care. :)

Dont mess with it just leave it alone for about a month. Most likely its a cycle and should go away on its own. Do you have anything living inside it? If so just keep track the nitrates dont get way out of hand.

I have the same issue on an upgrade. Went from 65 to 120 Gal same LR, new sand. nothing on LR, just sand. Tons of GFO and carbon running. I m thinking its part of new /old set up. I hope im right. N and P are 0. Corals and fish doing fine.

Ok heres a picture of it
211758tank_crud.JPG

Well in the tank i have two dotty backs to kill of any worms, and we have been trying to grow some frags but have been doing horribly. I cant seem to find the problem with the tank, every single aspect of the water is now perfect. We have just purchased a Rodi unit that will be installed within a week. The only problem that we have found recently was that there is copper in the water so we have added a poly filter (i think thats what theyre called)

Back