Brown skimmate changing to Green Skimmate

flameangel88

Its a 75g tank up about 3 weeks with live rocks and sand and I only have a Arc Eye and Chalk Basslet in the tank. The first 2 weeks the skimmate was brown but this week it changed to green but the sand has patches of brown. I'm running with 260W PC light (mix of 12K and actinic) and the skimmer is CSS 220.

Is this a concern? Too much light? Any thing I need to do?

Tia.

Definately not too much light.

Basically speaking, you are removing algae instead of fish poop/organics that were on the rock when it was curing.

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion--I meant may be leaving the light on 12 hours is too long. Definately not too much light matter of fact I think I'm under but will pick up another 130W single strip soon.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7543117#post7543117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
Definately not too much light.

Basically speaking, you are removing algae instead of fish poop/organics that were on the rock when it was curing.

Thanks, and I hope that is the case. Initially I seeded the tank with about 25-30lbs of LR from existing tank and Q-tank and 100lbs of pre-packaged LS then added 50lbs of LR and 20lbs of LS this past Wednesday. After the addition of LS and LR the skimmate has changed to green but I don't see much color on the rocks and the rocks are rather bland and these are fully cured LRs. So far, ammonia and nitrite are at 0 and nitrate is at 5 with PH at 8.2 ans SG at 1.0255

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7543129#post7543129 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by futrtrubl
I feel that's a good thing as it seems to indicate that your tank is cycling nicely.

Edward

Back