BRS 2-part shelf life?

LinkinReef

I posted this on the BRS forum, but figured it would go here instead.

I'm looking to buy a 5 gallon bucket of each the Calcium Chloride and the Soda Ash for alk. I go through one of their 1 gallon containers in about 13-14 months.

Would the 5 gallon mixes still be good if they're stored inside the bucket for maybe let's say 5 years?

If the mix get's solid and turned into a block, does this mean it's bad and should be thrown away? I ask this because this happened to my Mag mix and haven't used it since.

Just wondering if it's worth it saving the extra bucks to get the 5 gallons buckets instead and have it stored and use it as needed or just keep buying it per the gallon instead.

They'll be good indefinitely. The calcium chloride might absorb water and harden, but that won't affect the utility. The soda ash might react similarly, if it's anhydrous.

Both anhydrous calium chloride and soda ash clump over time,IME. If it clumps badly, I put large chunks in a towel and smash it up with a hammer to get to a size I can measure by tablespoon.It will dissolve once it's in the water.

Back