BRS reef saver rock question.

poweraid

does anyone have any experience with the BRS Reef saver rock? I want to use PVC to create a frame work for the aquascaping and was wondering if it is easy to drill?

Reef saver rock is easy to drill as long as you have the right bit. Just go slow and don't push hard on the rocks. For smaller projects, I use fiberglass road markers from the hardware store and a carbide tipped masonry drill bit. For a PVC project, it's more complicated, so just do a web search for drilling live rock.

Most masonry bits shouldn't have any problems. Larger PVC pipe rods of course need a big hole :)

It can be brittle... Also it leaches a bunch of phosphates to soak it and do 100% water changes over about 30 days... I wish I did that....

It can be brittle... Also it leaches a bunch of phosphates to soak it and do 100% water changes over about 30 days... I wish I did that....

I was planning on buying reefsaver rock for my 120 build, but now I might reconsider. I have heard about phosphate from brs pukani, but reefsaver was supposed to be different..

I was planning on buying reefsaver rock for my 120 build, but now I might reconsider. I have heard about phosphate from brs pukani, but reefsaver was supposed to be different..

My whole tank is reefsaver, no phosphate issues. Pukani maybe a different story.

Pukani definitely leaches phosphates. I had loads of green sheet algae the first month of cycling it in my tank, as I just dropped it right in. GFO did a great job soaking it all up, and carbon prevented any horrible odors. Within 2 months it was no longer an issue.

Reef Saver shouldn't have the same problem. It's been pre-cleaned, and it isn't grabbed from the ocean.

I may try the RC sponsor "Reef Rocks", as they look like they have the same type of rock, but for much cheaper.

Back