Brute containers (safe)

ksed

I was wondering if the Rubbermaid Brute trash cans are safe for water changes, even if I let the water stay there for a week.
Thanks

I use 2, I for fresh that I add Kalkwasser to for my top-off, and one for salt water. They are both hooked up to my ro/di unit. I have about 22 gl in each, but I ony use about 10 gl/wk, the rest just gets re-filled. Is this a problem over time?

I did a lot of research on this and I thought the most important thing was the plastic was HDPE 2? And most Brutes, if not all, are.

I think AZDesertRat may? be the one who told me this. He's pretty knowledgable about such things but maybe it was information overkill?

My understaning is that some of the colors of the Brutes are not food safe, the red, black, and blue, and the other colors are ok.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12933488#post12933488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I'm presently using 9x44 gallon Brute cans. 2 for sumps, 2 for RO/DI, 3 for limewater, and 2 for new salt water. :)
Hi Randy. What HDPE and colour of the plastic, or does it matter?

PaulWhitby told me to use these. They all have HDPE 2 stamped on them. Food grade plastic. I know he did basic vinegar, bleach, rinsing in the beginning. I think he said he might clean it once a year also. Beyond that it's ok. Normal plastic smells. Maybe just b/c it's new. Maybe you are getting smells from teh outside of the can. Other types of plastic can leach phosphates.

Where do you guys find the info that the bins are food grade (HDPE 2 stamp)? I have black rubbermaid (menards heavy duty) garbage cans but I can't find a stamp or any indication of any kind - food grade or not. They still have the original sticker on the side and there's no indication there either.

Jeremy

I did a lot of research on that and found that out right here... somewhere. But I did notice some people were using some other things ok too... LDPE 4... or stuff like that for example. Are these other plastics leaching small amounts of Phosphates? I don't know. But I spent $90 on one trash can and I'm not using it anymore. There are so many sources of low levels of Phos. and all it takes is just one source to supply the crap out of algae. You can do a google search for these plastic labels.. HDPE..and you can find a list of a dozen or so types and what each means. Some others are used for food too but I worried about Phos. leaching too.. not just other chemicals. All of these Brutes are HDPE 2. I found a 17 gallon Rubbermaid one for ATO that was stamped that way too... BUT I had to do a helluva lotta looking.

It's probably b/c it's black that you can't see it... BUT ALL by law have to be stamped. There'll be a triangle symbol with it. INFO Pretty much says a lot here... HDPE is for food. Won't leach any type of chemicals.

So everything else is minor in comparison to foods... including varioius claims about Carbons... and we shouldn't worry about it all?

Back