Bta

Nick S

Hey guys n gals. I got a rose BTA about a month ago. At night, it moves back deep into the rockwork, but every day it comes out at the base of the rock and shows itself until the lights go out again. Is this normal behavior? Thanks in advance.

How much is it pulling back into the crevice ? Can you still see it at all?

All of my current anemones -- E. quadricolor, S. haddoni and M. doreensis -- will get somewhat smaller, but they don't disappear into the rock (( or sandbed for the last 2 )).

Wondering if something is bothering it after lights out, causing it to fully retract.

BTW --
What size tank?
What lights?
Current parameters -- with numbers please
How long has the tank been set up?
What fish/inverts do you have in there?

Todd,

The tank is about 8 months old. 225 gallon (72x24x30 high). running 8 x 54watt T5s on two Vue660 Ballasts (Upgrading to GHL Mitras 6100 LED's, they are being shipped now). Ca ~420, Alk ~ 9.0 dkh, nitrates 0, salinity 1.025 sg, phosphates ~0.02, temp ~79 degrees F. I have a school of 7 anthias (4 dispar and 3 lyretail), 3 green chromis, pair of ocellaris clowns, pair of bangaii cardinals, yellow tang. Inverts are turbo, cerith, astrea, nassarius snails, 2 fighting conchs, mix of SPS, LPS, xenia, zoos, ricordea.

Oh and when it's out in the day, it squeezes between two rocks, sets its foot behind the rocks, and extends to get light. when it goes in for the night, i completely receeds into a cave between the two rocks, not just into itself or a crevice.

The numbers look good -- thanks.

It seems a bit odd -- would like it to stay out a bit more -- but I wouldn't be too concerned, though I would keep an eye on it.

Are the clowns hosted by it? If so, what is the size of the clowns, and of the anemone -- wondering about them stressing it out a bit at night.

The clowns have not taken any interest in it so far. I was thinking it was a flow issue as I run one MP60 and two MP40s, so I moved them each up a few inches to ease the flow lower down in the tank.

Back