Bubble algae eater!

endlessblue

Well this is my new algae battle I plan to beat, I'm wonder what people have used that successfully eats it? Thankf

Nothing will eat the large bubble algae. Just get a stick and poke it or remove it. Water change to get nutrient level low and it will not grow fast and then manual control.

Large quantities of valonia need to be removed manually. If there is just a small amount, you can try a mithrax crab.

Nothing will eat the large bubble algae. Just get a stick and poke it or remove it. Water change to get nutrient level low and it will not grow fast and then manual control.

Untrue, I've had experience with a one-spot foxface eating larger bubble algae with great consistency.

A Foxface Rabbitfish will eat bubble algae. Maybe. :)

They'll graze on pretty much every algae you'll find, but may or may not choose to do what you need.

Jeff

I have a fox face and doesn't touch it :( I'll be getting some emerald crabs Monday if there available, and update on any results. Thanks

If you have a major bubble algae problem, nothing beats manual removal. Attack it with tweezers, toothbrushes, pliers or whatever is available, use a net to fish out fragments and floaters then do a good sized water change. A couple consecutive weeks of doing that will usually get it under control.

beware the danger of a mithrax crab. Some are just fine, some develop a taste for coral. I had a few that were just fine, but they died. The last 2 I tried loved to eat coral and didn't care what kind. All ate bubble algae, but some ate coral.

My favorite and succesful way of manual removal, is doing a water change by syphoning water form the main tank. Use a hose that is fairly rigid, and scrape the bubble algae off as you go with the hose itself, while sucking up the scraped off piece of broken bubbles and the liquid inside. This way you minimize the potential spreading of more of it, since it is said that bursting the bubbles can make it spread.

Back