Bubble algae removal

nodak

Need some advice. I have several pieces of LR in my frag tank that are now covered with bubble algae. Was wondering if it safe to just pull the rock scrub off the algae and spray with hydrogen peroxide. I know this works with different algae but will this help control future outbreaks?

Need some advice. I have several pieces of LR in my frag tank that are now covered with bubble algae. Was wondering if it safe to just pull the rock scrub off the algae and spray with hydrogen peroxide. I know this works with different algae but will this help control future outbreaks?

If its not too much then just pluck em out with tweezers.

If its not too much then just pluck em out with tweezers.

I did this when I had a bit of an outbreak. I was careful not to pop too many of them as I removed them. After removal under a light outside the tank, I dipped the rocks into new saltwater to rinse off any remnant "juices". That water was disposed of, obviously. I still get some here and there like everyone else, but that removal method worked surprisingly well.

I'm not sure how often you do water changes, but before you do so manually remove as much as you can. You can get rid of these bubbles MUCH faster than they can reproduce. Staying ahead of them is key. GL.

Manual removal works best if you can remove the rock and rinse it after plucking them off, then return. Helps to keep the spores from escaping IMO. This and adding a few Emerald crabs. I rarely find bubbles anymore.
I started an algae scrubber a few months ago too. I'm not sure if it helped this particular issue, but it has slowly improved my other algae troubles.

:fish1: Vibrant works really well on Bubble Algae as well, no need to remove the rock. Try it you will like the results, but it will take a few months for it to work. :fish1:

Yes you can totally scrub/soak in peroxide for a fast solution

Vibrant also works very well but can take weeks/months to slowly rid the tank of it..

Yes you can totally scrub/soak in peroxide for a fast solution

Vibrant also works very well but can take weeks/months to slowly rid the tank of it..

I tried manual removal in my 120DT, but despite my best efforts couldn't get on top of it. As a last resort, I started dosing Vibrant at 2x suggested amount (I don't like dosing mystery stuff) and saw no difference for several weeks, and then it just started turning white and going away. I'm now about 1 year BA free, and continue to dose (at 1x) about monthly as insurance.

If it's on easily removable rocks, take them out, scrub them off, and drench them in H2O2 for about 10 minutes then dip in clean saltwater before returning them to your tank.

Best thing to do is to remove as much BBA as you can and get "Female" emerald crabs to do the clean up. In a week or so (or if you spot more sooner) I would get in there and pull as much as I could out. This will help reduce the amount of BBA you have in the tank.

Back