bubble algae

ducati1212

So I have a few spots of bubble algea on almost all my rocks now. Each patch is real small cluster of 3 - 6 bubbles. I have heard you can just pick the algea out and it will be fine but I also heard somethingb ad happens if you break them open..

Is it safe to try and reach in the tank and pick them out by hand or should I not try that

Breaking them causes them to spread, so you have to be very careful.

Great information thanks. Do most tanks end up with a certain amound of bad algae that you just have to live with or can you totally get rid of it

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8116628#post8116628 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MimicTang
pop them with something sharp they're kinda tough but filled with water.

Not filled with water.....thats a bunch of spores in there. They can often be popped (as in removed whole) off the rocks, but you will break them from time to time trying to get them off. Best bet is to pull the rock, pop them off, then rinse real good with saltwater to remove any spores from busted ones.

I had 2-3 bubbles in my tank at a time. Would remove them. Then one day popped one and had 15-17 in the next week. this was in a 5 gal nano.....yeah, its been an uphill battle since.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8116955#post8116955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ducati1212
Great information thanks. Do most tanks end up with a certain amound of bad algae that you just have to live with or can you totally get rid of it

From what I have seen so far in my reading is that some do pretty good with it, some its a constant battle, and almost everyone deals with it in the beginning.

Back