Bubble King BK-160 or BK-180 for 93g tank?

ken6217

I a have a 93 gallon reef tank with another 10 gallons in the sump. It is predominantly SPS and also has a medium stocked fish load.

Would the a Bubble King BK-160 or BK-180 be the right choice?

Thanks,
Ken

I would go ahead and get the mini 180. It may idle more, but, it will also remove organics faster and that additional speed really helps to keep nutrients from rising.

the mini 180 should be fine on a 93 but agreed might be a little idle. I have a gen 1 on a mostly sps 55 with a heavier fish load and it is too much skimmer for my tank.

I had a mini 200 on my 120g did a great job but I don't know about it being able to handle up to a 260g tank I think it was perfect for my 120g. but alas its currently idle since it seems to need a new impeller on the red dragon pump. anyone interested can make an offer on it. I don't have that tank set-up anymore.

I would run at least the 180 or even a 200 would be great

Last edited:
Ive read that bubble kings skim better when they are worked harder. I had a mini 200 on a 215 gallon and sold it for a atb 1050a, I personally don't think the bubble kings are worth the extra $ over say ATB, in my experience they are built just as nice if not nicer, parts are much much easier to get in a crunch and customer service is outstanding. I also replaced a bubble king supermarin 300 with a reef octopus 5000 internal cone filter which by the way also does a better job for a 1/4 the price. I had a snail snap the impeller on the larger pump for the supermarin 300, took 6 weeks to get a replacement. I recently emailed atb to get a float valve for my skimmer cause i wanted an extra safeguard for overflows....paypaled on monday received on thursday, from california & i live in ohio.

I had a mini 200 on a 215 gallon and sold it for a atb 1050a, I personally don't think the bubble kings are worth the extra $ over say ATB

I agree with ^ 100% I've had a mini and a large external BK by far out of all the skimmers I have owned the Mini is one of my least favorite skimmer I have ever owned!!
I would look into the Vertex or the ATB also the neck design of the mini is terrible and I feel you will be very disappointed. Now if you are buying it because the price tells you its the best then your gonna be surprised may be not right away but when you own something else you will look back and see it was not that greatest skimmer.Take some of the opinions here I feel a few are right on track. JMO!!

actually, if you are in fact open to other options, I also would suggest an atb840 , reef dynamics ins135E or 180E over the BK mini.

Back