Bubble King Mini at Aquariumspecialty!!!

Am I seeing things right, is the pump inside the skimmer? How in the hell to you replace pumps if you need to? Other than that it looks like the typical impressive bubble king.

So what is the major difference between the minis and the full sized BK's? Are there design compromises to make them more affordable, or are they just smaller?

I am curious also to see what sizes of tanks they are rated for.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Flint&Eric

Looks like aquariumspecialty added a tad bit more information on their site. This thing is puny compared to other high end skimmers.

here are the size of the base
160: 18 x 18 cm
180: 21 x 21 cm
200: 23 x 23 cm

I was browsing this forum and also found a thread talking about an even newer Bubble King. What's going on here? Is this model suppose to phase out the current non mini models?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1167351

The difference is size and air draw. Also, the mini's have a much smaller footprint due to the internal pump, and cannot be run externally.

With that said, in my honest opinion, skimmers designed with the pump on the inside are "not the best".

Having to remove the skimmer from the sump, then dismantle the skimmer inorder reach the pump is a nightmare!!!!!!

What if you turn the pump off for a sec and then try to restart, and for some reason it won't go? You gotta pull it out of the water, dry it off, take the pump out, trouble shoot, then put it back together and hope it works. If not, you gotta do it again...... and hope you don't break something in this process.....

BK's are sweet, but the mini design is just garbage in my opinion.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10404493#post10404493 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gabe3d
Thanks for the info Flint&Eric

Looks like aquariumspecialty added a tad bit more information on their site. This thing is puny compared to other high end skimmers.

here are the size of the base
160: 18 x 18 cm
180: 21 x 21 cm
200: 23 x 23 cm

I was browsing this forum and also found a thread talking about an even newer Bubble King. What's going on here? Is this model suppose to phase out the current non mini models?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1167351

Yeah, after Klaus moved factories, it appears as if they have re-tooled and are getting ready for new models.

Soon the DC motors will be out, and they may or may not be standard on BK skimmers. They also appear to be going with a conical(ish) body and a little different bubble plate.

RC isn't the best place to get info on these skimmers because RE is not a sponsor. But I'm gonna send them over an email and see what their plans are.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10404122#post10404122 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric
....lift off the collection cup, reach down and pull it out.

So the bubble plate is removable?

Nice. I want one to replace my ASM G1X. Been trying to find a quality skimmer that will fit in my sump. I will wait until someone tries one and posts a review.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10404907#post10404907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ebisan
Nice. I want one to replace my ASM G1X. Been trying to find a quality skimmer that will fit in my sump. I will wait until someone tries one and posts a review.

I'm really digging the size as well, same goes for the new Tunze. The only thing i don't get about Tunze's new skimmer is how they come up with the sizing. The smallest of their new skimmer is rated for a 528gallon tank.

If you READ the new 'Check out Klaus's new badboy' thread... all the info is in there. No, the old skimmers are not going to be phased out. The new 'Super Marines' are just for sumps with more clearance problems where the regular line wouldnt fit as well. All BK skimmers will continue to be produced... now there will just be new pumps and loopwheels as options.

Back