bubble magnus skimmers?

zach jay

i've been looking into a good skimmer for my systems (25g now, 110g in a while..) and i think i've settled on the bm160L. its around $280 which is exactly what i was hoping to spend. if anyone has heard or has one and has some input, that would be great. thanks a lot!

http://www.nuocean.com/skimmers/bubble-magus-bm160l-115v-60hz.html

BM160L_1.jpg

I bought the Bubble Magus NAC6 skimmer for a 40 breeder and was surprised at the performance. It well exceeded my expectations. The Aquabee pump on the BM160 is a great pump but a little hard to get parts for (or it used to be).

Are you are only considering a recirculation skimmer? If not also look at the Reef Octopus Extreme 160 or MSX at $269.

Any of the mentioned skimmers should be a great fit for your 110.

i was looking at the msx200, but i think it is too large to fit in my sump. my sump is only a 10g (on this system now) and the bm160L works externally. thats the only reason i went with this over the msx 200.

i'm not too sure what "recirculating" skimmers are, i've never bought a decent skimmer before so any help would be great!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15495650#post15495650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zach jay
i was looking at the msx200, but i think it is too large to fit in my sump. my sump is only a 10g (on this system now) and the bm160L works externally. thats the only reason i went with this over the msx 200.

i'm not too sure what "recirculating" skimmers are, i've never bought a decent skimmer before so any help would be great!

Recirculating skimmer means that the bubble making pump on the skimmer reciculates air and water within the skimmer body. So You need a seperate pump to feed water to the skimmer.

That skimmer should work fine. Very similiar to the DAS EX-1

Last edited:
the picture you showed us is a recirculating skimmer...

that is alot for a 25g..
look in to the NAC6 or the new octopus nwb 110...keep looking and researching skimmers for your size tank...get educated on what is available and which skimmer is worth the money before you make the purchase..
if your getting one for a 110 then i would build a bigger sump to fit a skimmer that can support it..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15496059#post15496059 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltydragon
the picture you showed us is a recirculating skimmer...

that is alot for a 25g..
look in to the NAC6 or the new octopus nwb 110...keep looking and researching skimmers for your size tank...get educated on what is available and which skimmer is worth the money before you make the purchase..
if your getting one for a 110 then i would build a bigger sump to fit a skimmer that can support it..

i know it is a lot for a 25, i've been told on here that it would be okay and overskimming wouldn't be a problem.

i plan on upgrading eventually, that is why i suggested this skimmer, because it would work well for a larger tank as well

i'm coming on here to get educated, companies are a little biased towards their brand so asking them directly isn't as helpful as asking those with experience

when i do get my larger system, i'm defintiely using a larger sump, but for now a smaller sump does suffice.

and i will look into those other two you mentioned.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15498558#post15498558 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zach jay
i know it is a lot for a 25, i've been told on here that it would be okay and overskimming wouldn't be a problem.

i plan on upgrading eventually, that is why i suggested this skimmer, because it would work well for a larger tank as well

i'm coming on here to get educated, companies are a little biased towards their brand so asking them directly isn't as helpful as asking those with experience

when i do get my larger system, i'm defintiely using a larger sump, but for now a smaller sump does suffice.

and i will look into those other two you mentioned.

The other skimmers mentioned are in sump only. They wont work as externals for your current system.

The skimmer you linked to is definitely overkill for your 25 gallon. But it will support the future 110 gallon and I think it will perform fine for the smaller system in the meantime. And it fits your requirements for needing an external or can be used in sump when you get a larger sump if you desire.
But I agree that you should continue doing research.
The skimmer in your link is very similiar to the DAS ex-1 which is based on an older Deltec design. It uses the same Aquabee pump. The entire design is similiar and I would suspect that the performance would be as well but cant vouch for the Bubble Magnus personally because there can be variances between the two skimmers that can affect performance for better or worse.
I would check the Bubble Magnus skimmer thread for info related to the performance of the specific model you are interested in. I would also check the DAS skimmer club thread for general info.
I used a DAS EX-2 externally for a good while. The DAS skimmers may not be an updated design but they are still viable skimmers and lots of reefers still using them. So in the very least, I think you are on the right track given your requirements and budget.

One more thing ... There are some budget skimmers still being produced that have pumps that I personally wouldnt touch. So when continuing your research, pay attention to the pump being used along with everything else. The pump is not the entire skimmer ... design is critical. But a dead pump is a dead skimmer. A pump not operating correctly in terms of air/water means a skimmer not performing well. And a noisy pump means a noisy, annoying skimmer. Much more chance of problems with a skimmer using a cheap, unreliable pump.

Good luck.

The bubble magnus aquabee pump outperforms the DAS aquabee.

You made the right choice you did the research congrats! Now go order your skimmer :)

haha i'm incredibly lost in this process. i've gone from wanting a large skimmer for a potential upgrade, to a skimmer fit for this system (as the upgrade won't be for a while), to not knowing at all which one to get. i've been reading the bubble magnus thread and its not looking promising. some people like it, otheres its just breaking down. i guess i'll look into the octo 110 nwb. i just want someone to look at my system and say, get that one, its perfect haha. oh well

The cheaper bubble magnus uses cheap pumps the 160 uses a good pump, I don't think I've read about any 160s failing.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499117#post15499117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
The cheaper bubble magnus uses cheap pumps the 160 uses a good pump, I don't think I've read about any 160s failing.

Agreed!

Make sure you are reading about the right skimmer. They use crappy pumps on some other models, not on the 160. The Aquabee on the 160 is a solid, reliable pump. Those same pumps hold up very well on the Das skimmers in the same application.

so because its recirculating, you need to pump into the skimmer? on top of a pump that runs the skimmer+output, right? so on top of this skimmer, i'd have to get what pump?

SWC/MSX extreme 160 is better than the BM 160, IMO, just not a recirc.
and will be fine on a 25g with a sump until you get a 110g set up.

bubble magus gets 700lph out of a ab 2000/1 pump, more than deltec even...
but the SWC extreme 160 will get over 1000lph of air injection, and you get bubble plate to cut turbulence, which has been a complaint of the bubble magus skimmers.

for smaller systems i do like the NAC6, you cant beat 500lph of air w/ bubbleplate for $138
but that's a little small for a 110g.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499333#post15499333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zach jay
so because its recirculating, you need to pump into the skimmer? on top of a pump that runs the skimmer+output, right? so on top of this skimmer, i'd have to get what pump?

Just a small pump like a powerhead ... the maxijet 1200 is a popular choice. The aquabee mounted on the skimmer pulls water from inside of the body of the skimmer and recirculates it, injecting air in the process which increases dwell/contact time.

BTW, The 110 you mention is an in sump skimmer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499333#post15499333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zach jay

That is correct. I would ask Chris at Nuocean what pump is recommended. We could all guess but I suspect he has more knowledge on Bubble Magus than we do. Be sure to let him know what size tank and bioload you have now and what your future plans are.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499351#post15499351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skimmy
SWC/MSX extreme 160 is better than the BM 160, IMO, just not a recirc.
and will be fine on a 25g with a sump until you get a 110g set up.

bubble magus gets 700lph out of a ab 2000/1 pump, more than deltec even...
but the SWC extreme 160 will get over 1000lph of air injection, and you get bubble plate to cut turbulence, which has been a complaint of the bubble magus skimmers.

for smaller systems i do like the NAC6, you cant beat 500lph of air w/ bubbleplate for $138
but that's a little small for a 110g.

Oh lord ... now we can get him into mesh modding sicce pumps and the associated hassles that will certianly bring for a relative skimmer newbie. He's all yours on that one ... :rollface:

:)

then maybe just run the sicce with a purple pinwheel for 37 scfh

I realize some people dont like to geek out on their skimmer pumps...lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15499371#post15499371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DarG
BTW, The 110 you mention is an in sump skimmer.

yup, but it would fit perfectly for the system now and not demand me to make any more purchases haha. EDIT this will fit in my sump

at this point, i'm highly considering the octo nwb 110 for my smaller system, but when i do upgrade, i'm definitely interested in this 160 model.

i chose to go with a good skimmer that would fit my system now as opposed to buying one that would over skim now, and be ideal for the next system. this way i'll have a little bit of experience in different brands, $170 sounds better than $315 right now (i hope the 110 isn't seen as skimping on the equipment, i do want a good skimmer, just not something thats super over powerful and one that fits my system), and hopefully i won't have to make too many adjustments.

thanks for everyone that has made comments, i'm sure i'll bump this thread in a while when i do make my upgrade. and hopefully everyone agrees that the 110 will be sufficient for my tank now. that would make my day haha

Don't rule out the BM NAC6 for your current system. Small foot print, only need one pump and kick butt skimmer for $138.

You may want to get some feedback on the pump ...

Good luck with it or whatever you end up with.

Back