Bubble tip questions

kdc527

I visited a lfs today and they have several Bta's they look really good. I was just wondering some of the requirements for keeping them. At the lfs they are only being kept under PC's they look really good 3 greens and on pinkish. Should I quarentine? Do they carry anything like Ich I know they can't carry ich but do they carry anything like that? Thanks I really hope I can get one. My tank is the following 55gal 29gal sump mag 9 return 2 koralia2's dual satelite PC fixture.

No need to quarantine.
I used to farm them, and to the best of my knowledge no known fish diseases or parasites are carried by BTA's.

BTA's are one of the easiest anemones to keep for the beginning aquarist.
They will thrive under almost any kind of lighting including NO, HO, VHO, PC, and MH.
They will seek out the ideal spot in your tank for flow and lighting on their own.
It's up to you to move your corals out of the way of their tentacles.
Once settled in a spot they will rarely go "wandering" again unless the water quality/params change, lighting degrades, or flow changes.

More importantly than lighting is water quality IMO.
A stable enviroment with ideal water params will go a long way in keeping anemones happy and healthy.
This is one of the reasons that most aquarists will only advise keeping an anemone in a tank that has been established for a year or more.

Thanks motherfish My tank is very close to a year old and water parameters are always spot on I am realy considering it. Thanks again

What is the actually wattage, bulbs of that fixture -- I am not familiar with it.

I would avoid the pinkish one that you mentioned, it is starting to bleach.

As for them seeking out an ideal spot... I wouldn't always count on that happening. Most of the time, yes, but not always. I have had too many clones that moved away from the mother colony only to stay on the underside of the rocks, only to be found when I was selling some rocks.

If your light fixture/pc bulb is close to a year old also then it is time to replace the bulb.
The most usefull spectrum of output for most bulbs is 6-12 months.
After that, the spectrum slowly shifts toward the red end and it becomes less beneficial for corals, clams, and anemones, while promoting more nuisance algaes.
This isn't noticable to the naked eye, but can easily be shown with a PAR meter.
If you change your bulb out once every 8-12 months you will make sure that it is putting out the most effective light for successful reefkeeping.

Happy reefing!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14143179#post14143179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
As for them seeking out an ideal spot... I wouldn't always count on that happening. Most of the time, yes, but not always. I have had too many clones that moved away from the mother colony only to stay on the underside of the rocks, only to be found when I was selling some rocks.

Yes, Todd is right... (just like his footer ;) )
I made mention about them finding a spot "on their own" mainly because so many new anemone owners will try and place the anemone in what they perceive to be the ideal spot, and then get frustrated when it moves, beginning a cycle of constantly fussing with (and stressing or tearing) the anemone in an attempt to "save" it from itself.

Sometimes an anemone will decide to hide behind the rockwork for unknown reasons... sometimes it will disappaer and go wandering only to reappear on the other side of your tank a week later.
There's not much you can do except keep anything away from them you don't want stung.

One thing I forgot to mention is BTA's tend to like to hide their foot in a crevasse, or under the shade of your LR.
They are not a species that is normally found on the sandbed, or with their foot completely in the open.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14143277#post14143277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MotherFish
Yes, Todd is right... (just like his footer ;) )
I made mention about them finding a spot "on their own" mainly because so many new anemone owners will try and place the anemone in what they perceive to be the ideal spot, and then get frustrated when it moves, beginning a cycle of constantly fussing with (and stressing or tearing) the anemone in an attempt to "save" it from itself.

That is a good point, and I wasn't thinking about it from a new anemone keeper's point of view. I agree, that should worry, too much, where it goes the first couple of weeks -- as long as it is out in the open.

well i will be changing the light at the end of the month ; or would it be a good idea to do before i get the bta.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14150669#post14150669 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kdc527
well i will be changing the light at the end of the month ; or would it be a good idea to do before i get the bta.

I would change it before you get the BTA, less shock for it. Don't want it getting used to the old bulb, and then put in the new one. Putting it in your tank (( or any tank for that matter )) will be enough stress, no need to add to it.

And I think you will notice a big difference when you get the new bulbs. Back when I used PCs I would be shocked at the difference when I changed them -- granted I was lazy and got new bulbs each Xmas.

I have heard some BTA keepers say if the nem is placed on a lone rock w/ sand all around it, it will stay put to avoid walikng across sand most of the time. Never tried it myself

Didn't work for me -- my clones had no troubles going across the sandbed. There is a reason I no longer keep them. :)

Back