bubbles and slime

magdelan

Fish?
Every night when I feed my tank, my hammer coral seems to shed some of its mucous. Also, can I assume that it is my skimmer that causes all those micro-bubbles right after feeding (HOB cpr)? This happens within minutes after feeding and goes away within 10min. I am feeding mysis, nori, a homemade mix, and cyclopeeze. I tried each of them seperately and found that the hammer loses mucous and the tank produces the most micro-bubbles with the mysis. Weird??? Why do this happen? Everything is healthy...

mike

it is the skimmer. Bubble performance can change rather drastically with very minor changes in water chemistry that effect surface tension etc. Things like sticking your hand (oils and god knows what else) in or stirring up the sand bed can send a skimmer crazy for hours.

If it stops after 10 minutes and the bubbles don't seem to bother the inhabitants I would not worry about it too much.

I know I'm new to this, but don't corals "spit" when they are upset and angry, either due to just being put in the tank, physical handling or general anger from upset environment (water parameters, maybe?) My corals will spit when I first put them in, if they fall off the rock, I move them or something bumps them.

That makes sence however, it is ONLY that one coral and it ONLY happens right after feeding. Wierd thing though, for the first time tonight, I didn't get micro bubbles or "angry Hammer". It's just all too weird!!!

I just read that micro bubbles will strip the mucous off of coral similarly to the way a skimmer works. This could explain why my hammer will shed it's mucous when the micro bubbles begin.

Back