Bubbles under sand?

PHOTOG

Hello,...tank is new (2 months) with a moderate sandbed bottom.

I noticed that there are a few bubles forming under the sand (I can see them at the front of the tank), what could this be?

Also
I am having the nasty brown diatom thing and the turbo snails got it ff the glass but wont touch the sand, What will clean the sand?

Not sure what the bubbles are, got em in my tank too. Never a prob though. As for the diatoms, a good sand sifting goby would do the trick (but I'd recommend one that is eating prepared foods). Fix the problem though, not the symptoms and lower nitrate, phosphate, and get more flow in the tank.

The bllom will go away on its own in time, it has taken 8-10 weeks in various tanks I have depending on conditions.

are you using RO/DI water?

How much are you feeding?

As for the clean ups crew for sand, I use sand shifter star fish, and nassiouris snails, they snails do not eat the algae, but move around in the substrate keeping the bloom to a min.

I started the tank with dechlorinated tap water, I have been using RO/DI water for everything now.

I only have one clown in the tank and I feed it once a day with flake foor or frozen.

The bubbles are basically the nitrogen cycle happening. It's a good thing. The diatom bloom should go away in time if you are using RO/DI water for changes.

the bubbles in the sand are just nitrogen bubbles nothing to worry about it means your sandbed is working. increased flow tends to help release the bubbles better.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9270102#post9270102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kau_cinta_ku
the bubbles in the sand are just nitrogen bubbles nothing to worry about it means your sandbed is working. increased flow tends to help release the bubbles better.

That is good news, thanks!

Back