Bucket or lake??

sEaLiFe4LiFe

Hey RC, I picked up some local red mangroves from the beach two weeks ago. Since then, I have had them in a home depot bucket with freshwater. I added some organic and decomposing material to the water to make it brickish..lol Im growing them for my sump and wanted to help the mangroves mature faster.. so far some have started to mature with roots coming through the bottom.

So my question is, leave them in the bucket or add them to the lake in my back yard? Like create a styrofoam platform and anchoring platform on the shore? Would adding them to a more natural habitat be better?

I'll try and get some pics up but you get the idea.. any help would be appreciated and happy reefing! šŸ˜

If you are growing them for your sump, why didn't you just put them in the sump? You collected them at the beach - a salt water environment. Now you're acclimating them to fresh water. Re-acclimating them to salt water is more difficult for them.

I'd recommend you put them in your pond and leave them there. Then go back to the beach, collect more, and put them right in the sump.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming I appreciate your opinions :) My DT now has been cycling for 2 weeks with slightly elevated ammonia levels due to cycle. Iā€™m still thinking of design of fuge. I have a ball of chaeto in there for now. Donā€™t know what kind of substrate Iā€™ll be using as well. Doing research now. I have close to 50 red mangroves lol so I figured let them grow while I figure things out. So far most are growing roots :) Iā€™ve read about acclimating them back to salt and I have the time to do it ;)-

Also sorry, I live in HOA community they will not allow them and would kill if I grew them there ��

I put 4 Mangrove pods with no leaves on them in my sump 3 years ago and they grew like crazy. So much I had a hard time getting them of from under my 36ā€ tall stand. I put them in a Lagoon next to my display tank that is feed from my tank.

Back