Build a bigger home, build a bigger tank!

milonedp

My wife and I are building a new home and I'm going to be upgrading from a 180 to to something over 300. I'm leaning toward a 96" X 30" X 30" which is roughly 375 but I need some help before I settle on the tank size. I'm lucky enough to be building this into the wall in a fish room where I'll have about 9.5' by 11.5' space in the room. The tank will be be in the front right corner of the room and will be view-able to the outside room on the front and right side (only the first 2 feet of the right hand side). So I'm having a stand / workbench built across the full front wall of that room that the tank will go on.

Before I settle on the size what I'm struggling to figure out first is maintenance of this size tank and then the stand height. At 30" deep and 30" wide I don't think I'll be able to fully maintain it from the back even on a ladder. I'm even considering building a 3' high platform right behind the tank so I'm not always moving a ladder back and forth. Anyway what do people do with tanks this size if you need to get near the front if something falls over?

The other piece of this that is complicating things is that I want to make sure that I have a good flow going to the sump. I'm planning to use a 150 Rubbermaid stock tank now that I finally have the space. This will not be under the tank but off to the side of the room. I was planning to put that up about 12 inches on a section of raised floor and then have another skimmer section in the pump where the overflows drain too so even if that section is flush with the top of the stock tank I'm already at 37" and does that then push the tank up higher in the room which then only makes the maintenance that much harder. How much drop do I need to maintain a strong flow, should I measure the drop from the bottom of the tank or the top of the overflow (if I'm using a durso). Could I use a coast to coast to solve this problem?

Any help would be appreciated. I hope this will turn into my build thread but it'll be months before anything is actually built but the planning has begun and so have the questions!

Thanks so much!

You will definitely want access from the front. If you look at many of the photos of others' tanks on this forum you will see that they have a row of panels above the tank on the viewing side of the wall that swing up and out for access on the front side, but that close and block light and humidity from escaping into the living area under normal operation.

Dave.M

Thanks I had thought of that but the cabinetry on the front side won't really fit the room very well. I also wanted to mount the lights to the front wall so I could push them up out of the way, so this is sort of a last resort. Any other options (other than a smaller tank, which of course would be just silly).

+1 on the panel. my tank is 72x36x28 and use a step ladder to do things in the tank. plus if you won't really be able to see what youre doing from the back of the tank. definitely invest in some long grabbing tongs to help move things without getting your whole arm wet. I can post some pics of my canopy if you like.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

+1 on the panel. my tank is 72x36x28 and use a step ladder to do things in the tank. plus if you won't really be able to see what youre doing from the back of the tank. definitely invest in some long grabbing tongs to help move things without getting your whole arm wet. I can post some pics of my canopy if you like.

SPotter that'd be great if you could post some pick, I have some ideas about what you both are talking about but I'm going to need to see if it'll work in that room its a 2 story wall and I think it'll just look awkward. I have a 180 now and can only access it from behind and mostly I'm good if I turn off the Vortechs and I can see down through the top or I get my wife to help.

Here's my canopy. Now my tank comes out from the wall but you can do something similar with the door for your tank. I would highly recommend doing something because I think you will regret it in the long run. You can put three match false panels on the bottom of the tank to match the top just so it looks nice.

Canopy.....

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

False panels on the bottom......

IMG_0271.jpg

Here are some pics of mine with the front access, the lights are on a rail system so I can slide them back to work on the aquarium.
PC211493.jpg

PC201492.jpg

MX36 how wide is that tank front to back, is that 36 inches? Are you able to access it over the overflows? I'm not doing an external overflow so then maybe the front access isn't as important, I've already been managing a 72 by 24 by 24 from behind and its a bother but not awful its just those extra 6 inches on height and width that I'm worried about but staying away from the front may help with my other concern about scratching the front panel.

I appreciate all the input.

MX36 how wide is that tank front to back, is that 36 inches? Are you able to access it over the overflows? I'm not doing an external overflow so then maybe the front access isn't as important, I've already been managing a 72 by 24 by 24 from behind and its a bother but not awful its just those extra 6 inches on height and width that I'm worried about but staying away from the front may help with my other concern about scratching the front panel.

I appreciate all the input.

It is 34 wide 24 tall, I can work over the overflow its kind of a pain and can't really reach to far downl. I do most things through the front and on the side. Even working from the front with only 24" tall aquarium I can't reach the back bottom corners. I would think another 6" would be a pain at least for me my arms arn't very long.

Thanks I have the same issue with my 180 but my thought is I don't want to be anywhere near the front, I have a few scratches in the glass on this tank and I really don't want that again so if I keep the rock work further back maybe I'll be safe.

If you don't mind my asking where'd you get your tank? I'm still trying to go through the glass vs. acrylic (I know it scratches easier but it can be repaired and glass cannot).

Thanks, so if you do most things over the front and sides because the overflow is blocking your space then maybe I can get away without the panels as I'll have clean access to 100% of the back. Anyway thanks for the help, anyone have thoughts on tank manufacturers?

atlas tank works in Canada built mine and I love it. it has a one piece glass euro brace that looks amazing. Tim really knows how to layout a tank.

atlastankworks.com

there's more photos of my tank on their site.

Thanks Steve! Just dropped them a message, was the shipping really expensive given it was coming from Canada? I'm in NC so I'm hoping it reasonable.

the shipping was in line with the shipoing costs I got from other builders in the states.

We haven't had an in-wall, but if were an option, we would definitely go with the cat walk surrounding the tank; sized so that you can easily get in there and reach the bottom/back. Another handy thing for an in-wall would be to have a webcam pointing at the front that you could view with a monitor in the fish room, so you could see what you're doing...

Nice idea prop-frags, I actually tried to convince my wife that it was a good idea to put a camera on it when we were doing the security system and she thought I was crazy, that if anywhere it should be in the tank room so we could see issues but this might be another selling point for me!

Thanks folks another set of questions, I'm trying to figure out what options I want to do for overflows, I'm thinking about and external on one end of the tank and maybe a internal in the middle back, I know its a not traditional but I'm not sure if just the overflow on the end of the tank would be enough, thoughts? Would you have the returns coming in from that side too? Like a peninsula tank but only view-able on 2 not 3 sides? Are there any special considerations I need to make for laying this out? Anyone know of any experts in this area that I could talk to or do some research on?

Back