building 55 gal stand

svynx

I just started building a stand for my new 55gal tank. I didn't want to spend $250 on a prebuilt one, so I went to the local lumber yard, got $20 with of wood, and started putting something together. It's not finished yet, but this is what I have so far. The tank is 48" long and 13" deep, and the stand is about 58" long and 23" deep. I wanted more space underneath for filtration things. I am going to put tile around the tank (it's nice working for a flooring company;) ). I got some prefabricated barn siding which is going to go around the stand, and I am going to use two homemade bi-fold doors for access. I'll add more pics as the project goes on.
171367Tankstand1.jpg

171367tankstand2.jpg

171367tankstand3.jpg

Great idea! I am working on my stand for a 75g and making it bigger than the tank as well. Not sure if it is too late or not, but I would run that center support in the other orientation. More strength that way.

I planned on puting a 2x4 on edge for strength there, but I ran out of wood. I wasn't sure where the front of the tank was going to be, so I just put the 2x6 on it's side. The 2x4 will be in later today.

I found some good hardwood which I am going to use instead of the barnsiding. The entire front of the stand is going to be removable for best accessibility, plus this thing weights a ton, so the more I can take off to move it the better. Most likely I'll use a piece of insulation foam to set my sump and fuge on.

Back