Built In Overflow?

jjonesrjc

I recently purchased a 60g marineland cube with center overflow built in to replace my cube that the rim was coming apart. I had built a custom stand with out thinking about adding a sump so I am stuck with a 10g sump as the maximum tank I can get in the stand. My questions is I am nervous that the tank can overflow the sump in the event of a power outage. Not from the return line back siphoning as I know how to prevent that but how do I prevent the overflow siphon from draining to much water into the sump with the return pump turned off?

tkeracer619

Premium Member
It will only drain what is above the overflow while running. To minimize it use a smaller return pump or throttle the one you already have down.

jjonesrjc

So does the water have to get to the bottom of the 90 degree elbow for the siphon to stop or just the top of the elbow? Also I believe even with that small amount of water a 10g would overflow?

tkeracer619

Premium Member
it is the pipe that comes from the bulkhead and determines the height of water in the overflow compartment. It has the elbow on it :)

No ? is stupid here. We all have something to learn.

jjonesrjc

Ok so I've been looking around a bit and noticed that when people drill the hole in the stand pipe they also run a piece of tubing above the waterline is there a reason for that? Also other people are suggesting that you don't put a whole but rather have a t coming off the bulkhead in the back and drilling an air hole in the top of the cap on the t. Which way is the best?

Last edited: