Bulkhead fitting issue

lostmyz

I have a 3/4" bulk head that I am using for my PICO build. I went to home depot today finally to get my plumbing stuff.... I got my pool/spa flex hose, but when i went to get some fittings for the bulk head to expand it up to 1.5" to accommodate the flex hose....i ran into an issue...

I tried to thread a 1" pvc coupling with an expansion to 1 and 1/4 but it would get on.... Where can i get the proper fitting...

I hope this makes sense lol

if you are talking about the outside thread that the bulkhead nut uses, then you are SOL. i ran into the same problem. your best bet is either use the inside thread (if available) or glue in a piece of pvc and put your adapter on from there. the thread on the outside is not the same as the threads on PVC fittings. at least from what i've seen

the inside is a slip.... im running my return line through the drain....

and my return line is 5/8" OD and 1/2" ID

Bulkhead is 1-1/4 OD and 1-1/8 ID

i don't want to make the inside diameter too small that the return won't fit an allow flow. I will be using 1-1/4 ID PVC Drain hose..... technically I could just sleeve the OVC drain hose over the bulk head and use a hose clamp and be fine OR makeshift some adapater and use vinyl hosing from ACE (heat it up and slip it over the end of the bulkhead to make a tight fitting like a barbed hose adapter sorta... (if that makes sense)

^ You really don't have a choice; you MUST use something on the inside of the bulkhead.

The outside threads are only there to install the bulkhead nut, and are oddly sized on purpose to prevent you from using them.

Yeah, it's very challenging to get the fitting for the outside mount. Since your hole is small already, I can understand the need to have a larger adapter. We don't want to reduce it anymore than necessary.

Have you tried going to Lowe"s? I find they have better selections!

From my experience, you could saw off the non-threaded portion before the threads. This will enable you to get the grooves to match. Try one first, as sometime the groves do match exactly.

Also, you may want to visit a plumbing stores, they may have more non-standard sizes for you. Good luck!

^ You really don't have a choice; you MUST use something on the inside of the bulkhead.

The outside threads are only there to install the bulkhead nut, and are oddly sized on purpose to prevent you from using them.

Like he said, the outside is NOT designed to have anything on it except the bulkhead nut - they obviously designed it that way for a reason!
I have been known to make things work where it was not designed, but I won't mess around with bulkheads!

Yeah I think I'm just going to have to put a small piece of 3/4" pvc and I got a 1-1/4" to 3/4" reducer for my 1-1/4" ID pvc hose. I will just glue the reducer in and pressure fit the 3/4" pvc into the reducer (also punching out thr stopper so it goes all the way through so I have no leak). I don't think it will be too much of a problem the water will still flow down fast enough and be enough as it will open up to 1-1/4". I got all my fittings today before work. Tonight I dry fit test it all to see how it looks. My real main concern is if I have enough flow out the stock lock line nozzle to get sps to grow. Ill be pushing like 205gph through it. The tank is 17" long and 6" wide... some people have added a small return on the opposite side lower. Ill check into it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Back